preamp and interface question

jesusmac

how can you bypass the preamps in interfaces like the m-audio fast track pro when you buy a standalone preamp like my sp-vtb1?

jesusmac said:
how can you bypass the preamps in interfaces like the m-audio fast track pro when you buy a standalone preamp like my sp-vtb1?

I'm not familiar with the unit but most likely you can't. There are some interfaces that have that option or additional "non-amped" ,if you will, inputs. You could always try the trick of turning your maudio pre's down as much as you can and use the gain from the pre you want but honestly you're still running thru the maudio.

Some audio interfaces don't allow you to get around their built in preamp and some do.

The Fast Trak Pro has inserts which could be used as line inputs if you have an insert cable or you should be able to half jack it with a standard TS cable.

Doing this would avoid the micpreamp circuitry of the Fast Trak .

jesusmac said:

Instead of using a XLR cable use a 1/4" on the line in and it will bypass the pre all together.

JM350 said:
Some audio interfaces don't allow you to get around their built in preamp and some do.

The Fast Trak Pro has inserts which could be used as line inputs if you have an insert cable or you should be able to half jack it with a standard TS cable.

Doing this would avoid the micpreamp circuitry of the Fast Trak .

I would not half jack it! a full insert with the cable is what he needs to do and it will bypass the pre. ;)

Back