preamp>comp vs comp>preamp

Nikki7

I was recording some tracks for a friend and she asked me the following question: What is the difference between running (from a mic) preamp then compressor vs. compressor then preamp? I didn't know you could do it both ways. Is this true?

you can't - a preamp is there to bring the very low voltage a mike puts out up to line level - pre -amp -- get it? the compressor should then follow either in the insert before the EQ or after the EQ - now that's another story.

Nikki - maybe John's being a bit playful - you don't have to track with EQ if you set up the mics right most times. Preamp > compressor > recorder. That'll get things done nicely.

Hey, John - you being playful? :)

Hey, that brings up a question. I've never tried this, because I've always assumed it's impossible: can you apply EQ to tracks being recorded using the EQ in your software editor? I use Cool Edit Pro, and it's got both graphic and parametric EQ. I've always assumed these EQs could only be used in the mix and mastering stages, and that for applying EQ when tracking you used the mixer or an outboard EQ. Am I right?

No Dobro - I'm not being playful - firstly what I said was true - you shouldn't compress a mike signal until it's been brought up to line level and secondly if you compress before EQ it's different than compressing after EQ. nothing playful about that. It's been my experience like when recording drums that flat is dull and boring.
Usually a snare need +3 - 6 db around 6Khz, a kick needs +3@3.5Khz and -3 @250 - 350hz and possibly - 3 at60Hz. Vocals usually need +3 -6 at 5khz for girls and +3 - 6 at 7Khz for guys, bass need +4@1.2Khz etc etc etc As an old friend once said, you try to make it sound like the band in your head - if the bands no good you're in trouble (in your head that is) cheers dobro

[This message has been edited by John Sayers (edited 07-24-2000).]

Back