Pre amps???

personally and imho, i'd buy the best single channel you can get. that neumann is the centerpiece of your studio right now-- i'd get the best preamp you can to compliment it. skimp on meals, trips to the bar, etc. and get the best pre you can-- there are some nice options once you get to around $600. i wouldn't be surprise if, after you try out the neumann with a better preamp if you start to opt for that mono rather than your stereo at2020's on acoustic guitar. keep in mind that, the neumann through a nicer preamp will also take a little getting used to. the sound will be more faithful to what's in the room, which may in turn force you to examine the acoustics of your room and how you need to control it.
...unless there is no chance of having more $ down the line to upgrade other things...
this is just my opinion though from having moved from really crappy gear to nicer, mid-level-ish gear. ymmv

kojdogg said:
personally and imho, i'd buy the best single channel you can get. that neumann is the centerpiece of your studio right now-- i'd get the best preamp you can to compliment it. skimp on meals, trips to the bar, etc. and get the best pre you can-- there are some nice options once you get to around $600. i wouldn't be surprise if, after you try out the neumann with a better preamp if you start to opt for that mono rather than your stereo at2020's on acoustic guitar. keep in mind that, the neumann through a nicer preamp will also take a little getting used to. the sound will be more faithful to what's in the room, which may in turn force you to examine the acoustics of your room and how you need to control it.
...unless there is no chance of having more $ down the line to upgrade other things...
this is just my opinion though from having moved from really crappy gear to nicer, mid-level-ish gear. ymmv

Alright, thanks. I'll look into it. I could probably afford something in the 6-700 dollar range, but it would require a questionable decision.

I planned on getting some Rokit monitors. and I could add half the money from that to the preamp fund and just get a set of monitor headphones instead. Probably not the best scenario, but perhaps the lesser of two evils? Either way, it's going to be a year before I can get anything after this. I've already just bought several hundred dollars worth of stuff from Gik.

So now, unless anybody wants to tell me that that is a bad decision, I've got to toss all this information I've been looking at regarding 3-500 dollar preamps and start all over again.

kojdogg said:
geez no monitors? i might just get the monitors and then the rnp then...

It's a long story, but once I became accustomed to the hand-me-down speakers I have I really had no trouble with mixes. It was a long learning process. I figure monitor headphones would still be a jump up from that, and then the next time I have money to spend the monitors will be the way to go.

Anyway, I'm starting to get my mind set on that Grace 101.

Tyler22 said:
I just got a new microphone finally. I got a Shure KSM32. I am going to use this mic for vocals. I was wondering what are some good pre-amps to get? $300-$400. Somewhere in that price range. Is there much difference in quality from a cheap one, and a mid grade one?

Thanks alot!

Also, I was planning on putting it in a rack.

Slightly more than $400, but I would go for the FMR RNP. And a rack mount shelf is available for it as well.

Back