Pre-Amp Vs. Mixer ?

Coleridge

I'll start by saying that I'm very new to this.
I want to record an opera singer with a piano in a church. I want the recording to sound as much like the singer as possible and since the recording will be used as a demo to get work, the recording can't be altered in any way to make the singer sound better than he really is. That being said, is it possible to get a good recording (assuming all equipment is good) using just the mics and a pre-amp going directly to DAT or will I still need a mixer?
Thanks,
Coleridge

If you have 2 channels of preamp you will be fine.

Either a stereo pair backed off to capture the entire sound or a piano and a vocal mic for a little better control.

Mic placement will be the key. Experiment and see what sounds best.

and BTW. If altering the sound is unethical for demos than most of us are bad, bad boys:P

and BTW. If altering the sound is unethical for demos than most of us are bad, bad boys:P

Funny.
In classical music, most people think the recording is basically "live", one or two takes, etc. Balderdash! I once made a recording of a famous classical work for the Smithsonian, and we took 27 hours for a 25 minute tune. I dont think we played more than 10 seconds at a time.

The great violinist Itzhak Perlman made a CD a few years back in which he played a few notes out of tune at the session, and refused to do it again. The producer actually dubbed another fiddler in there for those few notes!!!

Edit away Coleridge, nothing wrong with that. Autotune, however, is a different story...:rolleyes:

Thanks for the feedback.
Yes, I know it's ok to do some editing. I just finished doing my first professional recording (as a singer) before Christmas and I must have sung each of my parts at least 10 times. What I'm more concerned with is artificially changing the quality or colour of the voice.
Cheers,
Coleridge

Back