The power problem!!!

Spider

can anyone enlighten me as to the type of damage that can be done by leaving your rack on all day ... does this slowly kill your system ?? Its just it gets used all day , and im a little worried about the temp. at 10 o'clock at night.. Any thoughts on this ...
cheers
spider

Components such as power amps,powered speakers,mixers and the like generate some form of heat. Usually when I'm using my outboard gear and/or my tube amps, I generally keep them cool by placing small fans near the vents of each equipment.
I personally never had any problems with long,continuous use of my equipment other than high-electric bills. I also insure that I turn off any tube-type equipment after use
to perserve life.

hey thanks for that mr , i dont have any tube gear so thats ok.. Small fans?? how small do u mean .. ?? i thought about a fan but dont they make a bit of noise .. Im kinda fussy when it comes to hearing little noises in my control room... anyway thanks for that
spider

In all the studios I've worked at we never turned any gear off!!! MCI ( the console/recorder mob) worked out that gear usually broke down when being
1 - turned on
2 - turned off
3 - Full moons!!

I use 6 in fans on my power amps, a 3 1/2 in fan for my mixer and several 7in for my tube amps. I take special precaution to keep the fans away from the sources power lines and audio cables to keep hum away. I also have a special circuitbreaker/power box seperate from the other AC sources for the fans only.

You can get quiet little fans at places like Heathkit that are made for the purpose of keeping electronics cool. Also I'm sure computer suppliers like Fry's have little computer fans which are prob. not as heavy duty or as quiet.

I remember seeing a studio in LA where they brought an Air Conditioner feed back through the console that not only kept it cool but kept the dust out. They did the same with their racks.

The point of leaving your gear on to get it WARM (specialy valve)...dont stick a fan on it to cool it off again.

I read a post from Ed (sonus)a while back and he said he doesnt get really good sound until he leaves his gear on for 3 DAYS

Tony

is that true about ed not getting a good sound till the gears on for three days.. would really have to plan things ahead..
Anyone know the reason for this , is it just about heating up all the valves and stuff...??

it's the capacitors - they have to settle down to their charge - when you switch them off the discharge rapidly - which is harmful - when you switch them on they overshoot and them settle down which is also harmful. watch full moons though!!

[This message has been edited by John Sayers (edited 07-28-2000).]

Back