Portico 5017 vs 517

BigEZ

The Devil Has Blue Eyes
Hi All,

Just have a couple questions regarding these units...I'm a singer/songwriter just doing straight up acoustic guitar and vocals but would like to use more than one mic on the guitar.

-Is there any reason I would choose the 5017 for more money? I don't have a 500 series rack but it looks like these are identical and could save me a bit of money, save the shell of the 5017.

-What would happen if I plugged say a 57 into the line jack (XLR to 1/4" cable) and used a Cloudlifter to bump the gain prior to the pre. Basically I would like to use my ribbon mic on the standard mic channel with a 57 on the instrument/line channel. Is this a big no no? Will it damage the 57?

Thanks,

ROK

The 517 is designed to fit in a racking system, the racking system also has the power supply so you need the rack to power it and therefore have to buy the rack. The 5017 is fully self contained.

I don't think you would get good results plugging in the 57 to the cloudlifter, the cloud lifter is designed to be plugged into a mic input not a line input. You won't damage the 57.

Alan.

Thanks. Now that I think about it, I suppose it wouldnt even work since the cloudlifter requires phantom power to operate and that likely wouldn't be sent thru the line jack. Wish someone made good 2-channel pre+soft comp in a similar price range. Thanks again.

Hi, I've never seen the poer output jack on a 500 series rack mount before and I was wondering...

If I buy the 5100 Ps P-1 power supply, does it fit in the 517? Or the 517 is exclusively rack mountable? Are there any alternatives? Because I want to buy the 517 but I don't want to spring for a rack just yet.

Back