Plugging in studio monitors

bigdaddyd

Ive installed the wiring for a couple of powered studio monitors. I have a few questions, and any input is appreciated.

I know they hook up with xlr plugs, and there are a couple of monitor outs on my behringer 1622. I also know that there are stage monitors that should hook up here in the event of live gigging. Is this an either/ or choice.

also if I purchase a yamaha 01x (or a KORG) where is the ideal place to get my signal, is it always from the mixing unit, or still from the 1622 if I choose to still have it part of my setup. I guess if a few of you could post where your getting your studio monitor signal from, it will confirm or question my thinking.

Lastly, do any of you have an "all off" switch to turn off your power to your studio. If so, do you get that powering down POP, is there any tricks? It would be a drag to have to independantly switch everything off if you have prewired an off switch to the pa wiring. Im guessing that if the main volume is down, powereing all off may be ok. Input.....

thanx.

D

bigdaddyd said:
Ive installed the wiring for a couple of powered studio monitors. I have a few questions, and any input is appreciated.

I know they hook up with xlr plugs, and there are a couple of monitor outs on my behringer 1622. I also know that there are stage monitors that should hook up here in the event of live gigging. Is this an either/ or choice.

You can use the monitor outs for studio monitors, but it's a lot more typical to use the main L-R outs. Panning via monitor sends is a bit of a pain.

Lastly, do any of you have an "all off" switch to turn off your power to your studio. If so, do you get that powering down POP, is there any tricks? It would be a drag to have to independantly switch everything off if you have prewired an off switch to the pa wiring. Im guessing that if the main volume is down, powereing all off may be ok. Input.....

I do because I run everything through a UPS; however I also switch everything off too. If all my gear comes on at the same time, it creates a voltage drop that makes the UPS beep angrily at me. Plus I don't usually need all the gear at the same time.

I don't get pops when turning my power amp on/off. I don't know if that's a design issue.

bigdaddyd said:
also if I purchase a yamaha 01x (or a KORG) where is the ideal place to get my signal, is it always from the mixing unit, or still from the 1622 if I choose to still have it part of my setup. I guess if a few of you could post where your getting your studio monitor signal from, it will confirm or question my thinking.

Ideally, you would want the least amount of things between your signal source and the monitors as possible. I'm not sure about that behringer board specifically, but a lot of mixers will run the signal through the preamps, even if you plug into the line in. This will color your signal somewhat, whether you'll notice the difference is another matter.

bigdaddyd said:

I switch everything off individually, starting always with the speakers. After that, I don't really have any order, so I guess if you shut down your speakers first, you can do everything else on one big switch.
NOTE: some digital gear have a shutdown sequence it runs after you flick off the switch, they should not be shut off by cutting off power to it.

Back