Pic pre question (yet another one!)

perceive

mic pre question (yet another one!)

Hi all,
I've been through many threads and the amount of information is overwhelming.

I am after a mic pre as I am sure you have guessed, two channel.
Not particularly fussed about extras
The types of application will be pretty broad.... they will cover acoustic guitar, electric guitar and vocals.
The types of mic's will be standard quality, sm57's sm58's, sennheiser e906's, and a sontronics sigma. This will expand over time..

Now my budget: $1000USD would be the most I *want* to spend.. if worse comes to worse I could get to $1400-1500 - but that would then make me hope it does its job exceptionally well and maybe act a but closer to a channel strip..

Any advice appreciated.. as stated there are so many threads its scary.. and it seems the responses are always different too based on slight requirements differences, new models etc.... so I am eagerly awaiting responses... thanks!

Last edited:
you can buy a 2 channel unit OR 2 single channel units, both give you 2 mic pres, and if you don't need matched will give diff options and sound/capabilities, I have the Eureka and will get a second someday...nice pre without using the added FX coloring.

you can buy a 2 channel unit OR 2 single channel units, both give you 2 mic pres, and if you don't need matched will give diff options and sound/capabilities, I have the Eureka and will get a second someday...nice pre without using the added FX coloring.

Would prefer a 2 channel unit - but it is certainly not essential... two matched channels would suit me just as well... ... I've not really heard of the eureka's so I guess that is something new to research, thanks!

i love my langevin dual vocal combo-- two transformer coupled pres, two channels of shelving eq, two channels of optical la-3a type limiting. the limiters can be linked for stereo sources. also has di's. the pres can be used separately from the limiters (you can use the pre/eq section and have a couple of other pres inserted into the limiters). sounds great on everything i tried it on, though the limiter might not be great for drums/percussion or mix buss duties. new they're about $1700, i got a mint one used for $1100 and they usually go for around that.

I second Kojdogg's suggestion. That's a preamp that you have to buy only once in your life. Of course we would all prefer to spend less money on great gear, but if you can squeeze that one out you'll probably not be hunting for another preamp in a few months.

The thing is with budget gear, you outgrow it sooner or later. Then you end up buying the same thing (i.e. preamp, compressor, eq, etc.) over and over. Better, and less expensive long term, to spend the money and get something really good from the beginning.

yeah, i am an unashamed 'fanboy' of that thing. the pricing on it is kind of an oddity too seeing as how it combines the functionality of langevin's dual mono mic pre, which costs about $1300 new and their solid state elop which costs about $1550 new, but allows you to use both parts of the unit independently or together. the thing feels like such a bargain, which i never thought i'd say about something i paid more than a grand for.
at about the same time, i got a couple of a-designs p-1 500 series pres for more than the price of the dvc ($800 new each, plus you have to buy a lunchbox or rack), and have found myself using the pres in the dvc at least as much.

Last edited:
There Australian distributor could be a problem as they dont get them in.
And with the voltage differences it means the used market is not anywhere near as open and accessible.. I'll keep an eye out but also at the same time ask if anyone else has any suggestions?
Thanks for the suggestions so far!

if you're in australia, consider sebatron, jbl baby animals (local to you)
or a pair of chameleon labs 7602's (includes a very nice eq and has transformer ins and outs)
or a pair of safe sound p-1's (includes a nice compressor/limiter and there's a model set for australian voltage).
i've owned and used the latter two and they are definitely great budget channel strips.

I'll still ask the Aust distro about the Langevin, but also start to research the others you mentioned, again, thank you very much for the advice, it is much appreciated!

Back