Phantom power explanation.......Please

Phantom power is usually 48 volts of DC power intended for use with condenser mics which require power. Condenser mics need power so that they generate enough of a signal to register dBs on a line level device. No power, no sound. (did I get all that right? Maybe someone else can explain it better)

Isaiah

lol..thanks guys...I ain't sure but see if this is correct...I have a PA mixer/amp(Peavy) that has a phantom power button....why would I need it on an amp?.....maybe if I used the mixer/amp just as a mixer?.....or will stuff fly out of the roof if I mash the button?

Yeah Prism is right - it's a method of getting power to the mikes that need power - condensor/electret/PZM. (Dynamic mikes like Shure SM57 and 58s don't need power)- you can get stand alone power units that will power one mike only or you can have it built into a recording console (typical)so that every mike input has it available. There is usually a switch on the back of the console to turn it on and off. If you have a condensor/electret/PZM mike you will need a phantom power supply to make it work

Cheers

james....that was a killer thread....thanx...must try some sort of pre...just using a pod right now...its cool but i ain't sure how cool since i'm limited in my knowledge of all this antway....sure is fun tho!

Back