Phantom Power

Prism

I'm looking for something to give me phantom power. I can't afford individual tube preamps for every mic, so I'm wondering if there's something out there which can simply give me 4-6 channels of 48v phantom power?

Isaiah

probly the best thing would be a small mixer .. Behringer are quite good for the price .. Im not sure if theres something out there that just has 6 channels of phantom... but then again that pretty much describes a small mixer ...good luck
spider

Yes, but I don't need a mixer. The thing is, I'm getting a Tascam 688, and it has inputs galore - but no phantom power. Musician's Friend sells a phantom power unit which is rack mountable and has 8 inputs and outputs. For $300 though, it is not worth it to me. I can hardly afford mics and mic stands as it is.

Isaiah

By the way, what are inserts? I see on the back of the 688 that it has 10 XLR inputs, 10 TRS inputs, and then 10 TRS "inserts" ... what are those for, anyway?

Isaiah

Inserts are balanced in/outputs usually used for effect
sends and returns. Balanced plugs/inserts are "TRS balanced"
meaning Tip,Ring and Sleeve.

I bought a Stewart 6 mic phantom power supply at a used music instrument store for $45. If you are patient you could find a good deal I imagine. Try eBay as well. Or, I am trying to sell my vintage Allen & Heath which requires me to use the phantom power. So, if you stay in touch I might be able to sell it to you.

Prism said:
By the way, what are inserts? I see on the back of the 688 that it has 10 XLR inputs, 10 TRS inputs, and then 10 TRS "inserts" ... what are those for, anyway?

Isaiah

like mr q said , they are usually used for effects , though compression is another ideal thing to put into an insert. They basically cut the line and direct the signal to the effects unit then back through the insert so the signal can continue the normal rout it would go .. They usually intercept the line straight after the gain and are pre eq(usually)... well thats interesting to hear about the phantome power units .. sounds like the best way would be to do what buddy said , look second hand... how many channels of phantom do u need ??

I found one of those units that buddyholly mentioned, for $60... I'll call tomorrow to see it it's still available.
Since I don't have any mics yet, I essentially don't need any, but when I get some mics, I will want power! 6 channels would be adequate.

Isaiah

Back