Patchbays

James HE

a spoonfull weighs a ton
Is a patchbay a patchbay? I mean how do different models compare? How does Beringer compare to Rean (what other models are out there?) What do you guys use?

I only have a small handfull of processors and hozits, but even with so few connections I hate having to move stuff around :mad:- doh! I hit my head on the back of the desk again! (hey maybe that's what happened to my neck!) It's not bad enough that I'm willing to fork out a lot of money but The Behringer Ultrapatch for $50 seems doable- but alas I don't think it's balanced :( (*sad* note: yes, I got the new Musicians Friend today...)

-jhe

Hey James. I have 2 Furmens, 1 dbx, and one Neutrik patch bay in my rack. I can safely say they all SOUND about the same.

But as far as quality goes, there are some tradeoffs. The Furmen definately is the most sturdy of the three, but the cables tend to slide in and out of the jacks a bit easier then the others. But the other two patchbays are downright cheaper in contruction.

I took a far away look at the Behringer p/b, and it seemed okay, but I didn't get a chance to really look it over. The coolest feature about it was the ability to switch it from half-normalled, to non-normalled. But I suppose the ease of ability to do that could potentially be it's downfall too, as you may accidently switch it the other way.

Ed

Guitar Center(Satan?)/Musicians Friend has Neutriks on sale this month for $69.00.

Buy cheap, Buy twice.

Right sonusman?

I own 2 different models of Neutrik patch bays. One of them seems cheaper construction, but the other is quite solid. I've had both for about 3 years, they get lots of use, and I've had no problems.
The one GC has for $69 is the the NYSSPP; same as the better one I have.
You know, Neutrik is known worldwide for being "the" connector company.

Hey MrBoogie, I think you meant to say that Switchcraft is know as THE connector company.... :)

This will of course start an arguement, but I will never intentionally but another Neutrik connector!

I have never broken a Switchcraft XLR before, and I doubt I ever will. But, I can't count how many Neutrik XLR connectors I have had to replace because the stupid plastic parts break during normal use.

Neutrik also costs more for the same type of connector.

They are a sham. The only thing that they are better at in XLR is their strain relief. But that is no arguement really because the Switchcraft strain relief is quite adequate, and I would never be tugging on a mic cable hard enough to pull the solder connection on a Switchcraft XLR.

Rebuttal anyone? :)

Ed

[This message has been edited by sonusman (edited 06-20-2000).]

Sure...

Actually, this is NOT a rebuttal. I'm just presenting my experiences and preferences:

I prefer Neutrik XLRs, TRS', RCAs (or Canare), and Bantam TTs. I prefer Swtichcraft TS'.

Why? I "prefer" because I find the quality (audiably and physicly) to be the same; I sure as hell can't hear the difference. And they're easier to work with and/or they cost less. All those are my consideration factors to what I prefer.

Also, I've actually found Neutrik connectors usually cost less (in general). And I've not had a problem with any breakage with any connector (Switchcraft or Neutrik).

But realize I'm mainly (probably about 3/4) Switchcraft stocked on the other end of 432 patchbay points (so not that many connectors) because of my collecting over a few years (plus I've bought used ones in the past), but most connectors I've bought recently have been Neutrik and it most likely will be Neutrik in the future.

I've got six Switchcraft series 2600 52 point patch bays and I have to tell you they're built like two tanks. I've had no problems with Switchcraft gear (it lasts forever) and the same problems as mentioned above with Neutriks. The ones I have are made of brass and weigh a ton and you have to solder all the rear connections but I like the idea of having one less plug.

[This message has been edited by Track Rat (edited 06-23-2000).]

I've never had any connectors break on me. I guess I baby my stuff, but heck, why not? It costs $$$.
The reason I say that Neutrik is THE connector company is because of all my equipment, there's more Neutrik than any other brand name. And it all works just fine, year after year.
Also, Neutrik makes that combo XLR-1/4" connector which i think is one of the more innovative things out there as far as connectors go.

just a quick note james, PLEASE figure the cost of the cables into your patch bay budget....the cost of cables and connectors adds a lot.

I have two Behringer patchbays. I can't really compare them to others, but they work, and you can switch them through the four different modes (open, normalled, half-normalled, parallell), and I can't hear any sound coloring at all. How well they take heavy use, I don't know, since I don't use them heavily... :) For a home recording studio, I don't think they are a bad buy.

And yeah, you need twice as much cables as you think. :)

Back