Patchbay questions and general curiosity...

talontsiawd

I've been thinking that a patchbay is something i should get for awhile now. The main reasons i've avioded one thus far is actually figuring out how to recable my setup as well as just recabling my setup. I'm just about maxed out on my mixer's inputs. I've also had to route things a bit different from how i would like because of lack of inputs. When i saw the hosa modual patchbay, it seems like it would fit my needs perfectly.

So, please pardon my lack of knowledge but i have some questions. I figure if i do this, i'd have two "sections" for this.

The first would be for my soundcard's inputs. I have a delta 1010lt which has 8 analog ins. I'm conicidering buying a sampler (mpc 2500) which has 8 outs i want to take advantage of. However, i also need ins for vocal recordings, my turntable, as well as another sampler with stereo outs. A patch bay would let me take advatage of all my outs without having to unplug my sound card's outs right? Right now it's not a problem since i'm really only using two of them and using my mixer and using my soundcard as as a basic stereo I/O which is fine with my setup. With the extra 8 outputs from the sampler, i'd want to take advantage of all of them. This would work right?

Then the second part would be for the more "regular" stuff like effects. I don't have the need for this right now but if i get a patch bay for that, i might as well. I only have 2 units right now so i just have them chained and bypass what i don't need. It's fine, again, i just figure i'd take advantage if i did buy a patch bay.

The reason why the hosa one is attractive is because i can have 3 xlr inputs which would put my cabling in a far better spot. Then 1 or 2 regular unbalanced patchbays, on for soundcard ins, one for effects. Then if i need one with rca's, which would be helpful, i could do that too.

Does this make sence, and is a patchbay the way to go? Do i have the right idea? I would like to get this started before i buy new gear so i'm not totally overwhelmed. Even now, it would simplify things, if i have the right idea, by moving a decent amout of cables out of my mixer to a more convient spot. Let me know if i'm on the right path. Sorry for the essay.

Back