patchbay question

mikeyc

OK, i've used the search function and read as much as i can find but nothing i've read seems particularly applicable to my situation.
i have a steinberg mr816csx interface that has 8 balanced xlr/trs combo inputs and 2 insert unbalanced inputs. it also has 8 balanced trs outputs. 2 of the xlr/trs inputs are on the front, everything else is one the back. what i would like is some sort of patch bay where i can have access to the inputs on the back for recording drums and such without having to pull the rack our and run cables everytime. but i also would like to be able to use my bass podxt pro and any other outboard gear i pick up through the patchbay so that i, once again, won't need to pull the rack out and rerun cabling.
i've read good suggestions from the existing threads but most of those seem to deal with setups where the preamps are seperate from the interface so the patchbay goes in between those pieces. in my setup the preamp IS the interface. the friendly neighborhood guit-fiddle center salesman told me i just need the neutirk patchbay they sell and that i should replace all of my mic cables with balanced xlr to trs 1/4 cables for the mic inputs but everything i'm reading here says i should never run phantom power into a patchbay due to the risk of frying gear.
i guess i'm just more confused than ever about how to resolve my particular issue and i don't know if there even is a solution to my setup.
help?

Back