Patchbay help/understanding

absintheparty

Okay so I'm sorry if this is may be a simple question or may be confusing, but I'm right now using a PreSonus Digimax FS preamp that I connect via light pipe to a ProjectMix I/O so i have more pre's to work with (even though the projectmix pre's are terrible IMO) and I wanted to create a patchbay with some outboard gear I have, however I'm slightly puzzle how to do so properly

On the back of the Digimax, it has sends for FX as well as direct outputs and DAC outputs. To my knowledge I would simply route the DAC outputs to my jack field as well as the sends, that way I could patch in effects (even though it would all be pre-fader? Essentially?), and I'm assuming this would still send my final signal (patched or not) through the light pipe into my ProjectMix. So my first question is, is that the correct way to go about this?

My next question, assuming the above is correct, is that if I were to do that very set up, would that require me to always have to have something patched otherwise my signal flow would not go through to my light pipe then output, or would my signal always flow to my lightpipe/outputs/projectmix but allow me to simply plug in an effect if necessary? Otherwise how would I go about already having my signal flow without patching (unless I'd like to patch whatever FX I have) and not have to patch my In's to Out's every time? I know this has to do with normaling and half normaling but I can't say I am the best with it and still trying to fully understand it.

Thanks in advance for the help

A bit unsure if I'm understranding you....but yes, send your I/O out to a patchbay.
For FX send/return stuff, you would want to have those popints normalled at the patchbay so the when there are no external FX plugged into them, the loop would still be intact, letting your signal flow normally, only breaking the send/return loop when something is inserted.

Is that your question?

Yea sorry its a bit weird to explain, but you did answer my second question so thank you for that.

Basically with the first question what I'm getting at is that I'm using a light pipe cable (adat) to send my 8 channels from my pre amp. My pre amp also has 8 normal direct outs and 8 DAC outs in the back as well as send ports. I was wondering if, because I'm using the light pipe, if I should be using the DAC outs or the direct outs to route into my jack field?

And I'm also curious as to why when powered up one of my 163x compressors, it starts compressing without having anything patched into it? I'm assuming it was a bad cable but when I powered up my other 163x it did the same thing. Is this a signal flow problem where I routed something wrong? I have everything normalled. Or could it be a ground issue causing a loud noise floor?

Thanks again in advance and I apologize if I was confusing. If it helps I can try to upload pictures of how i patched things

I was wondering if, because I'm using the light pipe, if I should be using the DAC outs or the direct outs to route into my jack field?

Well...according to your manual, the DAC outputs are the derived from the ADAT inputs.....IOW, that is your ADAT digital signal converted to analog.
Your direct outputs are just the foldback from the analog inputs.

Direct Analog Output. The DigiMax FS has direct analog balanced outputs for each input channel.

ADAT Output. This optical ADAT output sends eight channels of digital audio output. The DigiMax FX is capable of sending eight channels at 24-bit/96k sample rate (SMUX). When using sample rates of 44.1K and 48k, all 8 channels are sent out one light pipe output labeled 1-8 just above the light pipe connector. When using 88.2K or 96K sample rate, channels 1-4 are sent out the ADAT light pipe connection labeled 1-4, and channels 5-8 are sent out the ADAT light pipe connection labeled 5-8 (below connector).

ADAT Input. This optical ADAT output receives eight channels of digital audio input. The DigiMax FX is capable of receiving eight channels at 24-bit/96k sample rate (SMUX). When using sample rates of 44.1K and 48k, all 8 channels are received into one light pipe input labeled 1-8 just above the light pipe connector. When using 88.2K or 96K sample rate, channels 1-4 are received into the ADAT light pipe connection labeled 1-4, and channels 5-8 are received into the ADAT light pipe connection labeled 5-8 (below connector).

DAC Output. (Digital to Analog Converter). Balanced ¼” TRS analog outputs of the converted digital optical ADAT input signals. Converts ADAT optical input to analog output.

So....these are two different sets of outputs, and if you need access to both, then rout both to the patchbay.

Back