PAtchbay:Can I do This?

guitarplayer

I currently record into a 488 8 track recorder. I record vocals, guitar, bass and keyboards either mic'd, mic'd through an amp, or via a POD or mic-preamp, or through guitar effects.

It's a hassle unplugging one instrument and plugging in a another. I sometimes route to the 488, or to headphones or to a power amp to the monitors.

Can I wire all this stuff into a patchbay? Could I have a jack for say the POD input and have 2 jacks that the POD out output is run into? I could then use a patch cord and go from the POD to track 1 or whatever of the mixer, or to the amp, or to the headphones etc. Can I do this? Will it work?

I've read up on patchbays here but it's all rather confusing.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thank you.

Sure you can, just need to get a patchbay and figure out what kind of connectors you need. Just exactly like you said: Run 2 cables out from the pod to 2 connectors on the back of the patch bay. Label the corresponding front as "pod outputs". Run a cable from the pod input to the patchbay, label the front "pod input" Run all the inputs to your four track to 4 connectors on the back of the patchbay etc etc...

Thanks for your reply. My confusion comes from the normaled, half-normalled, parallel etc. etc. I don't know which one I need. I guess I could just plug in 1 at a time and test if it works.

Thanks.

The answer are: Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, and Yes. :)
You need a patchbay that is switchable per channel between the different modes.

Tell us exactly what is confusing, and we will try to explain it.

Ya know, I didn't know what those terms meant until I went to the store and looked at a patchbay (with the help of a clerk there). You'll understand as soon as you look, there's nothing too complex.

Thank you for all the reply's. I'm going over tonight to GC and take a look at some. If I have any more questions after seeikng one and speaking with the clerk, I'll post them here.

Thanks again.

Thank you for all the replies.

I picked one up at GC Friday night. Once I saw it, and the diagrams on the unit, it was quite easy to figure out. It's installed and working just fine.

Thanks again.

Back