patch bay ?

frist44

I'm looking to get a patchbay soon to make my life a little easier. There's bunch of lost cost options from hosa, ap audio, rean, dbx, and furman. I don't want to lose quality going through this thing, but if i choose a cheaper one, will it degrade my signal?

Please make suggestions of which ones to stay away from and which seem to balance quality and cost.

Thanks,
Brandon

In my opinion, degrading your signal isn't really this issue.

The non-obvious "quality" differences have more to do with sturdiness. When we're talking about something breaking, it's not so much a matter of subtle degradation of the sound, but the sound not passing at all (or being obviously intermittent or something).

Then there are the more obvious differences, like number of points, normalling scheme, ability to switch normalling scheme, balanced/unbalanced, etc.

the behringer is $40. You can swtich the mode via a switch on top

the ap audio is $80.

why would spend another $70 for the dbx, rean, or neutrik???

Please help.

Also, what are some good patch cables that will last and aren't too expensive.

Brandon

I read the manual to a HOSA patchbay that has the normalling switches on the front. I read that only in de-normalled operation at the lines balanced.

Are all patchbays like this? I would like all my lines to be balanced, and with the few that aren't, i will run the appropriate cable.

Are there patchbays that have all lines balanced no matter if you're operating in normalled, half-normalled, or de-normalled modes?

Brandon

Actually, though you wouldn't think there should be, there's a bit of a connection between normalling and balanced/unbalanced.

Most cheap patchbays have little printed circuit cards connecting the back and front jacks. It's hard to run three traces from front to back and to connect them from top to bottom without them crossing over one another (which is sort of hard to do on a printed card), and to make the normalling switchable.

I don't know enough to make any sweeping statements, but it does seem that, at least among the cheap bays, they don't seem to have fully-switchable normalling and be balanced in every mode.

One design that's fairly common allows you to switch from half-normalled to "not connected" by rotating the card. When the "normalling" jack is in front it's half-normalled, when it's in back its not connected, because a plug is always in it.

Does anyone have a patchbay that is balanced in half-normal mode?

If so, what kind is it?

what kind of patchbays is everyone using anyway?

it looks as though the neutrik, ap audio, furman, and rean patchbays are balanced. I don't know about the behringer, but i doubt it.

any thoughts.

Brandon

frist44 said:
Does anyone have a patchbay that is balanced in half-normal mode?

If so, what kind is it?

As mentioned in my post above, the patchbays that use the "flippable card" design are balanced/half normal (and if you flip the card, they're balanced/no normal). I myself have one of these with the Neutrik brandname.

I have the RE'AN, its balanced, flippable card. Get the Behringer only if you are only gonna use it for unbalanced gear.

seems as though the flippable card kind go from half-normal to de-normal as you flip the card. How do you achieve a normal mode? or can't you?

how bad are the hosa/ap audio cables that come 8 for $25. I don't want to go all out like monster cable for every line cause i don't have the money. I just wanted to get the patch bay thing started and improve as i go.

Brandon

you cant full normal most cheap patchbays. The behringer is unbalanced only.
Horizon made a special 1/4" bay for a while that used terminal strips on the back and switches. Of course like all good things, they discontinued it right away, but you might still find a few
if you really want a good patchbay, you might have to bite the bullet and go TT

Yes Behringer patchbays are balanced?!!! Sheeesh...

Yes, the Behringer PX3000 48-Point is a Balanced Patchbay and the Behringer PX1000 48-Point is a " Balanced Patch Bay ".

What are you guys talking about ? Please do some research please number one, please.........:confused:

And the only Behringer patch bay that is not balanced connections is the Behringer PX2000 Ultrapatch Pro.

I guess the only difference in patch bays is how many times are you going to be plugging in and unplugging your 1/4" cables ?

Quality is only good if you can afford it', and are going to be using your patch bay allot. Some patch bays fall apart and their soder connections and connectors inside get bent and loose, and the plating eventually wears out and all your 1/4" plugs get oxidized. And your patch cable wires can break inside, so buy the best you can afford at the time before you get too old to play music anymore or to afford it anymore........

I suggest using a product called " Puretronics contact cleaner & lubricant". Just spray it on all your plugs and connectors and your good to go, do not wipe off though because it contains a silicone electrical enhancer lubricant that makes all your connections not oxidize, and makes them sound better. Meaning by a better electrical connection, hence no crackling sounds or pops. You can also use this product for alll your faders, knob controls, potentiometers and switches, use it on your all your studio/stereo/mixing gear already!!! And it is safe to use on all plastics and electronics. It lubricates and cleans all at the same time, now if I can only do that in the bedroom......oh'.

"Puretronics" by T.A Emerald Industries, it cost about $6 online or through Fry's Electonics, I hope this helps all you out there, with oxidation problems, which means everyone who lives on planet Earth and not in a vacuum of space ?!?

Otherwise the Behringer stuff will last you many many years, atleast until you get too old to play music or hear it well anymore, anyways.......then you might as well sell all your gear in an estate sale, and just wait to die a slow and painful death, all the while getting older and more wrinkled and poorer, boy am I an upper today ?!?

I just can't wait to get too old to enjoy music anymore'.........sigh' :( :eek:

Last edited:
Sorry this post is 7 years old Eeeeegads'!!!

:eek: I did not realize how old this post is 7 years old already ?!!

Oh well the info I posted above is still relevant and hope it will help some poor ol' musician(s) out there, or one who wants to become one', someday ???.......:D

Best of Regards,

Chances are the original poster has already suffered a long and painful death, I just wish the same was true for this thread...

Back