parametric eq question

buryher17

i need a parametric eq for my studio, and i only want to spend from like $100-$200

but the only one i can even find that even parametric is the pre sonus 3 band EQ3B. it's $100 flat, and the next cheapest parametric eq i found was $800 on sweetwater.com

for a parametric eq is thta my only option? and is it a good option?? any opinions on this eq

from what i heard pre snous is a noisy brand

PAIA Electronics has a kit you can build for $100. mono, 4 band, all sweepable, and it's noiseless..... I use it on my bass tracks....

soundchaser59 said:
PAIA Electronics has a kit you can build for $100. mono, 4 band, all sweepable, and it's noiseless..... I use it on my bass tracks....

really? thats awesome. i've never done a build it yourself kit before though. is it hard?? like is it worth doing for a kid who hasnt done that before??

i dont wana accidentally cut a wrong wire or w/e and break it....

Look for a used (because that's all there is) DBX 242. Designed by Robert Orban and pretty fully featured. They do sound pretty good. Run about $125 or so on e-bay. I have two and they are emminently usable even though I now have better EQs. Do a search in Gearslutz where Mr. Orban actually discusses the design of the unit and possible mods to improve it.

Are you recording using a computer and recording software? If so, for the money you have in your budget, you will probably get better results with a software EQ plug-in.

On your list it says you are using Pro Tools 7. Doesn't that already come with a parametric EQ bundled in with the software?

I can understand why some people want hardware compressors to lightly compress signals before they hit the D/A converters, but it seems like a hardware EQ, unless it is really high quality (which your budget rules out) is not all that essential. What is your rationale for wanting one? From your list, it looks like there are a lot of other areas I would spend money on before an EQ.

For what it's worth...

The EQ3B is a nice little unit. I don't know where the noise comment came from, but mine is very clean and can be very surgical if you need it to be.

Jay

buryher17 said:
really? thats awesome. i've never done a build it yourself kit before though. is it hard?? like is it worth doing for a kid who hasnt done that before??

i dont wana accidentally cut a wrong wire or w/e and break it....

Probably not a good kit for someone who's never done any soldering before. You ahve to get everything right the first time, cuz it's a real pain in the butt to retrace the steps and diagnose if it doesn't work when you get done.

I double and triple check every step as I go, and so far every kit I've built has worked right first time......so far.....

But if you have experience soldering, and you have a basic knowledge of components and PCB's, and you have good finger dexterity, then it's definitely a great little parametric eq to have in the rack. I cant believe how quiet it is. They have one that's mono 4 band, and another one that's 4 channels with 1 band per channel.....but you can daisy chain the channels....

i don't think paia makes the kit any more. they still have the pcb available though, unfortuntaely it makes it THAT much harder for a beginner :(

littledog said:
Are you recording using a computer and recording software? If so, for the money you have in your budget, you will probably get better results with a software EQ plug-in.

On your list it says you are using Pro Tools 7. Doesn't that already come with a parametric EQ bundled in with the software?

I can understand why some people want hardware compressors to lightly compress signals before they hit the D/A converters, but it seems like a hardware EQ, unless it is really high quality (which your budget rules out) is not all that essential. What is your rationale for wanting one? From your list, it looks like there are a lot of other areas I would spend money on before an EQ.

im using acid 5.0 as of now, because my pro tools is at my dads in bum fuck nowhere.... so until i get it back to put onto my compuetr i now use, im using acid.

i know i need other things before the eq, but like i'm not even sure where to go next. so i figured i'd go with that. my rack is pretty finalized after the lexicon comes in the mail, but im not even sure what to buy next. any suggestions?? my guitars come out beautifully recorded along with bass/drums. just vocals arent up to par with everything else yet.

possibly buy a rode NT1??

xistenz said:
i don't think paia makes the kit any more. they still have the pcb available though, unfortuntaely it makes it THAT much harder for a beginner :(

I've called them twice on the last 3 months and they still sell both parametric kits. I tried to buy the line mixer, but they dont have any faceplates, and I cant mount it in my rack without the plate.

soundchaser59 said:
I've called them twice on the last 3 months and they still sell both parametric kits. I tried to buy the line mixer, but they dont have any faceplates, and I cant mount it in my rack without the plate.

oh, they don't have it on their site, just in the pdf catalog.

you could get a blank faceplate and drill it out yourself...? aluminim is a cinch to drill.

Heck yeah, design a custom faceplate at Frontpanelexpress. That would be cooler anyway (although costlier). I didn't know PAIA had an EQ kit either. I did their 6-channel headphone amp kit and it turned out pretty good for $85 or whatever. two of the channels are mono for some reason, but I still have 4 good ones!!! :D Sounds better to me than other commercial units I have used. It was a bit of a pain in the buttocks though, with all the little wires running everywhere. Definitely took some dexterity and patience.

buryher - I'm not sure I understand why you think you need something like this? Why not just save up your money for a really good vocal mic if that is the thing holding you back most?

Back