Outboard FX obsolete?

WhiteStrat

Don't stare at the eye.
Wondering if there’s a consensus on this issue or not: if one is recording and mixing “in the box” are outboard effects pretty much obsolete? Specifically, I’m wondering if there’s any practical reason to keep or upgrade Multi FX (reverb, delay, etc) and compressors in the rack.

Does anyone have a compelling reason to use these as “real” inserts into the virtual recording world. Or are you doing it all “in the box?”

Your opinions?

I don't think outboard is obsolete at all. I own quite a bit of outboard and also a number of plugins, and they both have their uses.

In my opinion, it's a mistake to think in terms of "either or". Plugins can't do things that outboard can, and vice versa, so it's best to think of plugins as "in addition to" outboard. Or outboard "in addition to" plugins.

No way, I have yet to here plugins anywhere near as good as my outboard.

Lexicon PCM70
Sony R7
Orban 111b Spring
Roland R-880
Symetrix 606 Delay
Bel BD80 Delay

Most of those cost me less than good plugins would have!!

One nice thing about outboard gear? In 5-10 years when newer technologies come out, perhaps better bit depth becomes common for processing, etc., your good outboard reverbs, etc. will still be perfectly functional, whereas your plugs will be outdated. Sure, it doesn't happen that often, but good physical gear tends to stick around for a long time since it gets treated well.

I've got eleven different processors piled up in a corner, not wired or plugged or racked, but they are there if I need one and I'd never get rid of them oth I do work in the box too...."in the addition too" versa vice.

ITB is so convenient but nothing replaces a great preamp or external compressor. A great EQ with transformers also adds magic I have not heard in the box. None of the reverb plugins come close to even low end external units.

The only 3 plug ins I have heard that come close are the UAD1 LA2A, 1176 (about 80% of the real thing) and the 88RS which comes very close to console magic.

Thanks for all the input. I know and appreciate the value of a good preamp. I've just gotten so "in the box" that most of my rack gear is out of my studio rack and in flight cases being used in the live rig.

But a lot of what you've said confirms my gut. Especially with reverbs & delays, I'm just not thrilled with the plug-ins. I thought maybe it was my old world ear, or my comfort with knobs & dials, but maybe there's more to it.

I think I'll patch some of that stuff back in and work on merging the two worlds.

I've just recently patched my outboard misc. back in to the system & purchased an LA Audio TCX2 tube comp. & have to say that (for me) outboard is far from dead

I use outboard/plugins for different purposes & my main reason for outboard is you can drive levels a lot hotter in the outboard domain when dealing in analog & then feed the signals back in

I found 24 bit reverb to clean on my drums so I patched in a 12 bit alesis midiverb 1 & makes my drums sound really dirty & mean

outboard, plugins etc etc are tools in my sonic tool box there to be used as I please & the more tools one has at one's disposal the better it can be.

One of the new features in Sonar 7 is the ability to use outboard as plugins. Looks pretty interesting if it works. It is supposed to compensate for the delay somehow. If it actually worked I think I'd find myself using my outboard gear more.

it really depends on the quality of outboard you have, if its just low end reverbs and multifx boxes i wouldnt bother with them, bt then if you have lex 244's and 1176's and distressors its a whole other story!
Patch them in and use them for a couple of mixes, if you feel they improve your sound go for it, if not sell them and upgrade elsewhere

I agree - I think it's safe to say "crappy digital outboard effects are obsolete". Crappy plug-ins blow them away. I had a digital 16-bit multi-effects unit that I gave away, and I don't miss it at all.

ITB is so convenient but nothing replaces a great preamp or external compressor.

Hogwash, all my preamps are plugins now, and they sound great. :D

None of the reverb plugins come close to even low end external units.

Now this I really have to disagree with. The TC Powercore based verbs that I use are miles above low end hardware. But then, they're running on 4 motorola 56K flex DSPs, which happen to be ITB on a PCI card, instead of running on DSPs in a rack processor, so the line is a little blurred.

ever multi effects processor I own gets used quite frequently.
IMO it is the best way to ensure that your audio tracks will sound the same as a live performance.
plus it makes the editing process a lot less tedius
However the VST's and DX get their fair share of use too .

Or a better sense of humor than you...

Thank's MOFO. I tried to give you a chicklet, but was denied.

MH - I was ribbing middleman for stating "ITB is so convenient but nothing replaces a great preamp......" Get it? If not, call me, I've got some great preamp plugins to sell you.

WhiteStrat - Some really great new plugins and SW emulations of the hardware classics have come out in the last couple of years, but they aren't cheap. And there are some plugins that do tricks that hardware can't pull off, at least not at a marketable price. I think it's safe to say that world class mixes can be accomplished entirely ITB these days, but it's also safe to say that studio outboard processors aren't going away anytime soon, if ever.

i hope not, i don't mix ITB and love collecting old gear. makes my records sound like they do. if i'm stuck using what everyone else is using, there's a chance some of the authenticity of my work will be lost. i'm not saying it's great, just different. and....being different.....is....being........................GREAT!

None of the reverb plugins come close to even low end external units.

yes would have to agree there also. If I'm looking for what is in essence a rougher not so smooth reverb then I head outboard otherwise I like regular appointments with Space Designer & (believe it or not) D-verb I also like Z-room

& I've seen the TC powercore in action & OMIGOD I think your verb plug-ins must be a tad under par middleman

I, like Brendan like to collect gear both High end as possible & low end budget stuff (accessit anyone) & it all has a purpose within my control room. Some of it is noisier than other black boxes I have but it's all patched in ready to work at the inserting of a jack plug or 2

Heck I even used my Virtualiser the other day made by some unknown company called Behringer.....................................OK I admit to owning some behringer OK!!!!

shoot me if you must

is there a Chandler germanium plug-in yet????:D:D:D

Back