Outboard FX obsolete?

One of the new features in Sonar 7 is the ability to use outboard as plugins. Looks pretty interesting if it works.

FWIW, this is already an option in ProTools...select the unit you want to go out to, and the signal's there...all you have to do is tweak the unit, and you're good to go

hooray for no patching

Yes, the TC Powercore would be the exception but I was referring to plugins without hardware. Another great one is the UAD1 Plate 140. That one stands up as well. Most of the software only don't stand up however.

I have a cheap Lexicon MX200 that exceeds most of the VST plugins I have. Just smoother with longer tails and not that muffled or brassy sound that plug ins get. Using Sonar 7 with the new external hardware plug and this little box rocks.

I did get the preamp joke, ha, ha...:D

I don't think outboard is obsolete at all. I own quite a bit of outboard and also a number of plugins, and they both have their uses.

In my opinion, it's a mistake to think in terms of "either or". Plugins can't do things that outboard can, and vice versa, so it's best to think of plugins as "in addition to" outboard. Or outboard "in addition to" plugins.

agreed. There's a time and place for nearly everything. It just depends on what you need for whatever project. There are some advantages to outboard gear and some advantages to all plugins...

FWIW, this is already an option in ProTools...select the unit you want to go out to, and the signal's there...all you have to do is tweak the unit, and you're good to go

hooray for no patching

\Cubase has offered this option for a couple of years now with delay compensation.

Outboard gear isn't obsolete at all. In my view, there are advantages to both. I think that great outboard gear is much better than plugins, but you can only use it one track or group of tracks at a time. Say you want to have different EQs on every track, you can do that in the box, not so much with outboard, unless you have donald trump bucks.

Outboard gear isn't obsolete at all. In my view, there are advantages to both. I think that great outboard gear is much better than plugins, but you can only use it one track or group of tracks at a time. Say you want to have different EQs on every track, you can do that in the box, not so much with outboard, unless you have donald trump bucks.

Nope. No Donald Trump bucks here. (No Donald Trump hair here either). But you're right--if the outboard effect is good--it's worth keeping. And if I want it on more than one track I can run 'em through the outboard gear one at a time. To keep it "tweakable" I could dupe the track, make it "extra wet" and mix it in to taste.

I agree - I think it's safe to say "crappy digital outboard effects are obsolete". Crappy plug-ins blow them away. I had a digital 16-bit multi-effects unit that I gave away, and I don't miss it at all.

you want me to pm you my adress?.... I ain't too proud to take old crappy gear you no longer want:D

you want me to pm you my adress?.... I ain't too proud to take old crappy gear you no longer want:D

snap:D

(message was to short please increase to more than ten characters............................................................................................

or Dragon'll shoot ye:D

First, i think that sometimes being "technically" superior doesn't make something "superior" in real terms. For example, my lexicon mpx 100 is not a fantastic sounding machine. But i go to it alot for simple things. The reason is i can just easily tap what i want for delay or something instead of finding the right numerical value i want in a plug in. So it takes me a fraction of the time and i can experiment. That's just one example, i could write a whole page of instances where outboard gear has been easier to use.

On the other hand, plug ins are much easier to deal with when you want to work with individual tracks. For me, if i wanted to use say, a hardware eq, i would need about 8, or run my drums through 8 times. I always eq my drums because i do hip hop and get them off vinyl. They always need eq and i like to wait until i am done with a track to tweek them. In this case, i would never want to have to deal with a hardware equivalant. I would end up running my drums through before the beat and just have preset stuff, or i'd eq them together. I'd sacrifice.

Why not just have both. Both have very good things about them, both have downsides. I'll be honest, sometimes i use hardware just for novalty cause i get bored, even where it might be more advantagous to skip the extra da/ad conversion but who cares? It's nothing someone would notice in the end.

Back