Orban 672A Parametric EQ

DigitalDon

Anyone have experience with or knowledge of this EQ? Saw it listed in a lot of studios alongside some impressive equipment when I did a Yahoo search.

I haven't heard of the Orban. I was recently comparing PEQs and thought that the Ashley and Symetrix looked like very good cost/performance packages. JD Sound will sell the Symetrix 562 (? two channel PEQ) for $510 !
I liked the controls better on it because the Asley has those dual knobs (two controls in one nested knob).

I decided to wait for two reasons:
1. FMR audio will soon be out with a PEQ.
2. The Behringer PEQ2200 is now hitting the shelves at only $120 per channel (5 PEQ bands per channel). I don't care what anyone says about Behringer, I have a bunch of their stuff and it sounds very good and has good specs. So far, no reliability probs either.

Peace,
Rick

I dont think the PEQ2200 is shipping yet, but I am very intrerested.
I had a pair of the Behringer B2031 monitor speakers on back-order at AMS for about four months. I completely forgot about it until they showed up on my doorstep. They honored the $489 per pair price they were originally advertising, and I see that they are sold out again already at $650 per pair.
So backorder isn't always a bad thing !
I have the Behringer DSP8024 (RTA/EQ) and the DSP9024 (6-band compressor). They are both great !

Peace,
Rick

As far as the ORBAN EQ's go, I am very interested in this item, although a SPL TUBE Parametric looks too sweet to pass up. There have been a number of Orbans at Ebay, as well as SAE para-graphic EQs. It's all Old school, they sound warm and look cool, functionally they are in the major studios for a reason. That would be a cue to get your hands on one. Some can play with the old Furman para's and get a good sound w/insert patching. Then again Ashley, or Aphex w/tubessence look good too. Too bad it is not 4 band stereo for the Aphex. 4 bands is enough for any Parametric EQ I think.
In any case you want one that won't add noise to your signal path (DUH!!!!) Older units (Orban, Urei, Furman and the like) may have more problems, need repair etc....

Record on......

Someone got a good deal on the Orban Sunday on Digibid. It sold for $75. As far as possible repairs needed, the schematics are readily available online. My day job is Electronic Technician (uncle Sam) so repairs wouldn't have been a problem.

Orban 672A

I have an old Orban "blue face" 672A paragraghic and have used it on for some time. Some say the "black face" versions sound better, have never been able to compare the two. You can notch out various frequencies/hiss/hum pretty effectively (although the irony of that statement is the unit is slightly noisey on it's own). Still I have enhanced/cleaned up some voice tracks to good effect. It can do some very interesting things to synth, bass and voice. Capable of rather cool "formant" (vocal simulation) type sounds for synth. Puts bass frequencies up in you face, especially when pushed. Convincing "telephone" voice special effects with it as well. Not that you can't do this stuff with similar/more modern eq's, in fact there are quite a few better/more accurate out there. Produces some radical sounds when pushed that are unique. The manual actually suggest driving the unit into overload to achieve some sounds. I recently loaned it to a DJ friend for live room eq and it really brought out thump and grind. In this application I think it really shines! Overall, I do like this unit, it suits a few studio purposes and adds a vintage vibe, but noise aspects keep it from being a real daily workhorse for me. You will likely need a cleaner more accurate EQ in the rack to go with. Good luck and peace.

Wow. Did you notice the date on the post (Dec 2000). Didn't realize I have been hanging around HR.com for so long even though I haven't visited/posted in quite a while.

DD :D

Back