Opinions on compressor please?

famous beagle

Hey y'all,

I record mostly analog and am looking at getting another compressor. At the moment, I have 5 channels of compression:

(2) DBX 163x (modded)
(1) DOD R-825 (slightly modded)
(1) Alesis Micro Limiter (stereo unit)

I almost don't really count the Micro Limiter as a standard compressor because I really only like it for the color it imparts when you hit it really hard. I almost never use it for standard level-control compression.

Anyway, I enjoy the DBX's a lot for tracking, and the DOD is serviceable in that department as well. I have about $200 to spend, and I'm looking at getting one more stereo (or dual mono) compressor that I can possibly use on the master buss as well as tracking.

Here are some that I'm considering:

Symetrix 525 (with Revive Audio mod - PSU, Burr Brown in/out, etc.)
FMR RNC
FMR RNLA
Art Pro VLA II

Any other glaring options that I'm missing?

I'd just like to hear from people that have some experience with these units.

Thanks much for any suggestions.

I use the RNLA for my 388. I really like it. I usually insert it on drum tracks and I always put it on the stereo buss when mixing down to CD.
It has a "thick" sound it. It does colour the sound somewhat. But in a good way.
Just curious about you 163x with mod...what is the mod done to it as I also have one. Interesting......

I use the RNLA for my 388. I really like it. I usually insert it on drum tracks and I always put it on the stereo buss when mixing down to CD.
It has a "thick" sound it. It does colour the sound somewhat. But in a good way.
Just curious about you 163x with mod...what is the mod done to it as I also have one. Interesting......

Thanks for the input on the RNLA. It's definitely one I'm thinking about.

Regarding the DBX 163x, I'm pretty inexperienced with them. I'd only recently gotten them and tried them out on bass, and I immediately liked what it did. But I heard about this relatively simple mod by Jim Williams, who seems to have universal respect, so I decided to try it out. Here's what I did:

1. Replace the 2150 DBX VCA chip (may also be called UPC1252H2 - same thing) with a THAT 2180A.
2. Remove the 47ohm resistor (R9) from at pin 4.
3. Remove the 100k trim resistor (R10) off the VCA trim pot to pin 4.

I figured it was relatively easy enough to where I could put it back if I didn't like it.

I should have conducted a test in which I recorded the same exact thing (through all the same other gear) before and after the mod, but I forgot about it. I've recorded the same bass line as I had done pre-mod, but I have no idea what the rest of the channel looked like (the pre/DI settings, etc.).

Anyway, I really like it, and it seemed to "open up" the sound of the compressor, for lack of a better term. But like I said, without a direct A/B comparison, it could just be my confirmation bias (hearing improvement because I wanted to/expected to). I don't know for sure.

However, there are other mods (lots actually) listed for this unit, but the few more that I'd like to try are as follows:

1. Swapping the dual input opamp for a National LME49860NA

2. Swapping the output 5534 opamp with a LME49710NA or a ADA 4898-1 or similar.

3. Replace the small 470 uf mains caps with 1000 uf or 2200 uf if you can fit them.

When I do this, I'm going to put one of the 163x's back to stock (I kept all the parts when I did the mod), and then I'll have a stock one and modded one so I can compare. Once I do that, I'll record the same thing and post the results so people that are curious can hear.

Jim Williams has described the modded 163x as the "Poor man's SSL buss compressor." That was enough to pique my interest! :)

Yeah, Im liking the 163x
Im starting to use it on my drum tracks and it really adds some good punch and volume. When I bought it, it was racked together with a dbx 463x noise gate. I don't usually use gates that much,but I recently discovered that you can strap the 163x to the 463x and make the 163 the master and the 463 the slave.Now the 463 turns into a 163x. Now I have a stereo compressor! Very handy..

I own a dbx 163 and always use it on bass usually in parallel. I have just purchased 2 x 163X which are in the post to me now, maybe for kick or maybe linked as a stereo pair and used as a drum buss compressor, well see. Out of the above mentioned, I also have 2 x RNC compressors a Alesis micro limiter and did own a dod. They are all very useful but they all are different so its good to have a choice.

Interesting about the mod, I may look into it.

Alan.

I have some parts en route now for the rest of the 163x mod, so I'll try to remember to post about it here when I have the stock and modded to compare. Also, I'm planning on documenting the mod process with pictures and instructions to help out anyone else who wants to try it.

Yeah, Im liking the 163x
Im starting to use it on my drum tracks and it really adds some good punch and volume. When I bought it, it was racked together with a dbx 463x noise gate. I don't usually use gates that much,but I recently discovered that you can strap the 163x to the 463x and make the 163 the master and the 463 the slave.Now the 463 turns into a 163x. Now I have a stereo compressor! Very handy..

That's really cool about the 463. I had no idea it could turn into a compressor. That's awesome.

Just for something different...I'd recommend taking a look at the Lindell Audio 7X-500 series FET compressor - a take-off of the 1176. They are priced at a pretty low price point, a little more than 200 ($299) and you need a luchbox (which they sell cheap as well) but IMO, you will end up with a pretty decent compressor and options to fill the other slots with Pultec style EQs and Pre/EQ units as well.

Here a video demo of the unit Lindell Audio 7X-500 Compressor @ ZenProAudio.com - YouTube

It maybe crazy seeing you already have dbx's, but I can't stress enough how awesome a DBX 160 x 0r xt is. It's right for your budget.

Just for something different...I'd recommend taking a look at the Lindell Audio 7X-500 series FET compressor - a take-off of the 1176. They are priced at a pretty low price point, a little more than 200 ($299) and you need a luchbox (which they sell cheap as well) but IMO, you will end up with a pretty decent compressor and options to fill the other slots with Pultec style EQs and Pre/EQ units as well.

Here a video demo of the unit Lindell Audio 7X-500 Compressor @ ZenProAudio.com - YouTube

Interesting. I'd never heard of those before. I'll check into it. Thanks for the tip!

It maybe crazy seeing you already have dbx's, but I can't stress enough how awesome a DBX 160 x 0r xt is. It's right for your budget.

Yeah ... those are a little more than I have, seeing as they go for about $200 and they're mono. I was hoping for a stereo or dual mono unit. Thanks!

Update:

The rest of the parts came for the DBX 163x mod, and I performed it last night. It was the hardest thing I'd done so far, simply because of the small size of the solder terminals and the close proximity of everything. I actually lifted a copper trace off on one terminal. By luck, it happened to be the one pin on an op amp that wasn't connected to anything! How often does Murphy miss a chance like that!

Anyway, I tested the unit out tonight for functionality, and I was thrilled to see that it's working like a trooper! :) I was testing it on a source I'd never tried it on before, and I didn't spend long (just wanted to make sure it was functioning before I do the A/B test with the un-modded one), so I can't say at all yet what difference the mod made.

In a few days, I'll record a bunch of tests that compare it to the stock 163x, and I'll post my results here.

Also, I documented everything with pictures and will type up details in hopes of helping anyone else who might want to try the mod.

More to come soon.

Update: I finished the mods, documented everything with step-by-step instructions, and have posted samples comparing the modded 163x to the stock.

I started a new thread in this forum called "Step Right This Way and Lend Me Your Ears."

Check it out please! Thanks

Update:

The rest of the parts came for the DBX 163x mod, and I performed it last night. It was the hardest thing I'd done so far, simply because of the small size of the solder terminals and the close proximity of everything. I actually lifted a copper trace off on one terminal. By luck, it happened to be the one pin on an op amp that wasn't connected to anything! How often does Murphy miss a chance like that!

Anyway, I tested the unit out tonight for functionality, and I was thrilled to see that it's working like a trooper! :) I was testing it on a source I'd never tried it on before, and I didn't spend long (just wanted to make sure it was functioning before I do the A/B test with the un-modded one), so I can't say at all yet what difference the mod made.

In a few days, I'll record a bunch of tests that compare it to the stock 163x, and I'll post my results here.

Also, I documented everything with pictures and will type up details in hopes of helping anyone else who might want to try the mod.

More to come soon.

How did this come out? Im also curious of the copper buss coming delaminated due to the soldering/desoldering....what causes that? Ive done it myself once. How do you avoid it?

How did this come out? Im also curious of the copper buss coming delaminated due to the soldering/desoldering....what causes that? Ive done it myself once. How do you avoid it?

It's caused by excessive heat. You just can't leave the iron on the terminal too long or have it too hot.

Check out my other thread "Step Right This Way..." to see/hear the results of the mod.

Back