Opinion: Crown XLS 1000 Power Amp - Decent PA for rehearsal?

arcadeko

Illuminatius Overlordious
I need to get a bigger PA - I got a little 80 watt custom but it's just not loud enough for the insane-punk-rock-rage-against-the-machine-doors-on-pcp type music I want to play :p

So I got a pair of 15" 100watt monitors I am using, gonna sell the little 80watt PA to a someone that needs something that small.

The drums are Roland V drums triggering EZdrummer, so it's not competing with live drums, the drums only coming through the PA

Anyway - I'm looking at this: but I don't know much about amps - is this a good amp?
It's $300 - could I get somehting similar cheaper? checked CL but it's all basically 100watts or 1500 watts stuff :o

Crown XLS 1000 | Sweetwater.com

I like the features

- Peak-x Limiters provide maximum output while protecting your speakers
- Precision detented level controls, power switch, power LED, and six LEDs which indicate signal, clip and fault for each channel
- Provides 215W/channel at 8 ohms
- 700W at 8 ohms bridged (If I ever get bigger speakers)

anyone use Crown stuff here?

I myself have always used Crown amps. Never had one break down. I don't know anything about the quality of their newer gear tho, but would hope they are still considered some of the most reliable amp builders.

Keep the 80-watter to drive horns in a bi-amped system, or sell it to me- I'm just West of you, in Marietta.

Keep the 80-watter to drive horns in a bi-amped system, or sell it to me- I'm just West of you, in Marietta.

I got no horns so I was gonna put the Kustom on CL - I will get some pictures together and then give you first dibs if you want to make me an offer :)

You can't beat Crown amps. I have three XLS series. a 1000, a 1500, and a 2500. They have the new switching technology, they don't have the big heavy transformer so they are very light. Hey, no complaint here!

I have a XLS1000 in our small gig rig to run the fold back speakers and it is great, we use an XLS2000 for the front of house. A bigger plus for me is that our whole amp rack with the 2 crowns, a 2x15 band eq, a 2x31 band eq and the actual case only weighs about 15kg (33lbs). Our old single peavey power amp on it's own was about 22kg (48lbs).

The whole system is plenty loud enough for most gigs and they sound really good. The XLS1000 would be plenty loud enough for rehearsal. I was almost thinking of getting a XLS1000 to run the studio monitors in the future.

Added this: Forgot to say that these amps will run down to 2 ohm's, and deliver even more power, which is handy when you get a bigger gig and can just add boxes. A XLS1000 gives 550 watts/ch at 2 ohms and the XLS200 gives 1050 watts/ch. So if you size the ohms for your rehearsal speakers so you get say 4 ohms/ch you will get 350 watts/ch instead of 215 watts/ch at 8 ohms. Maybe use 2 x 8ohm boxes (to get 4ohms) on each side of the amp.

Cheers
Alan.

Now I have five Crown XLS amps and one XTI series amp. A 1000 for my bass rig, two 1500 for monitors, a 2500 for tops on PA, and a XTI 4000 for subs. I guess you could say I like Crown amps.

No, I think I have enough for now. Although at some point I want to buy two more subs and then I will need another Crown. But not any time soon. Does any one have any JBL MRX 1 18 subs for sale? They have been discontinued, but that is what I have and looking for two more.

Back