One Subwoofer, Lots of Problems

propman

Dear Home Recordists,
I'm not sure if this is the proper place to post this question as I've never strayed far from the MP3 Clinic but I've ran into a snag and this seemed like the only appropriate part of the board to ask. Feel free to move the question if it fits better elsewhere.

I have a powered woofer with a left and right channel. Meanwhile, I have a four-channel stereo receiver with an A and B switch intended for front and rear speakers. I have a pair of speakers sitting at my computer and a pair atop my entertainment center. I've been using the A/B stitch to click back and forth between the two. I would like the woofer to be hooked up to the both the A and B outputs but I see no way to do so and it's causing me a major headache trying to sort it out. Is there a way this can be done?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

You may be able to do it, but it depends on your sub. Some subs will allow you to feed a left and right in, and will have left and right line out. If yours allows this, go from source straight to sub, then from sub to receiver.

If I understand your problem correctly, you have two sets of speakers but only one sub, but you want the sub used in both sets.

Maybe an A/B switch post receiver instead of at the receiver. Two in, 6 out (two for each set of speakers and one set always on for the sub). Not sure they make those bt I bet someone here could help you with a construct. Something close to this: Radial MC3 | Sweetwater.com

Wait, the sub is active. Are the speakers passive? If so, I wouldn't try to hook the powered sub into the amplified circuit. Maybe use a record out on your receiver to run the sub?

Wait, the sub is active. Are the speakers passive? If so, I wouldn't try to hook the powered sub into the amplified circuit. Maybe use a record out on your receiver to run the sub?

Why, you would just turn down the volume on the sub.

True, and you'd lose the volume control over the sub...thinking it through, though, I get:
This should be possible by using a circuit with diodes to direct the path of the signal flow, though. Signal coming from A can't go to B and vice versa...two pair of RCA's in that pass through to the speaker outs. Place diodes in each line to the separate sub output to keep the signals from bleeding back.

True, and you'd lose the volume control over the sub...thinking it through, though, I get:
This should be possible by using a circuit with diodes to direct the path of the signal flow, though. Signal coming from A can't go to B and vice versa...two pair of RCA's in that pass through to the speaker outs. Place diodes in each line to the separate sub output to keep the signals from bleeding back.
This will half-wave rectify your signal and cause completely unacceptable distortion.

I think gecko's got the best answer if the sub has all the right holes. The record out is a good one, too, but you'd have to control volume from whatever is feeding the receiver. I mostly just leave my speakers blaring and use Reaper's master to set my SPLs cause I can't reach the V knob from my listening position.

This sounded like the most worthwhile route to follow. However, it just didn't work. I'm not getting any signal coming off the diode.

This will half-wave rectify your signal and cause completely unacceptable distortion.

I think gecko's got the best answer if the sub has all the right holes. The record out is a good one, too, but you'd have to control volume from whatever is feeding the receiver. I mostly just leave my speakers blaring and use Reaper's master to set my SPLs cause I can't reach the V knob from my listening position.

Rec out works but seems like it's only good for a temporary fix. Not having control of the sub's volume at the receiver is pretty inconvenient.

Rec out works but seems like it's only good for a temporary fix. Not having control of the sub's volume at the receiver is pretty inconvenient.
It just occurred to me that I should be controlling the actual hardware send level, rather than the Master fader!

We need more details regarding the sub's connections and how you have it hooked up. Most likely a speaker selector switch between the amp and speakers will solve your problem. If you're using speaker level connections to the sub (some powered subs have them) then put the speaker selector between the sub's speaker level output and the speakers.

The downside of doing it this way is the the two pairs of speakers probably have different sensitivities and frequency responses so you might have to tweak the sub's settings when you change speakers.

We need more details regarding the sub's connections and how you have it hooked up. Most likely a speaker selector switch between the amp and speakers will solve your problem. If you're using speaker level connections to the sub (some powered subs have them) then put the speaker selector between the sub's speaker level output and the speakers.

The downside of doing it this way is the the two pairs of speakers probably have different sensitivities and frequency responses so you might have to tweak the sub's settings when you change speakers.

THAT is a FANTASTIC idea! I'll try that right away! I should have one lying around.

Back