Old MOTU 828 from 2001?

toyL

I have an old MOTU 828 (built 2001) that worked great with my old Sony VAIO. Recently I bought a nice Dell XPS8910-7020BLK (IntelCore i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40GHz) with Nvidia GTX750 Ti Graphics & Windows 10. I installed a SIIG DP Firewire 2-Port card hoping to be able to use the MOTU. Haven't yet tried to install the MOTU. Any chance that it will actually work with the new Win 10 pc?
Many thanks.

Somewhere in there, MOTU was using "musicwire". It looks like Firewire, but it's not.
The 2408 was musicwire.
If it's FW, sure, it's fine. If not, you'll need a special driver. If they've developed a driver, then you're golden.
It all comes down to the driver, eh?

Ponder5

Hey,
You mean 'Audiowire'?

As far as I know, it was a protocol used between motu devices when PCI cards were the thing.

The 828 range are standalone interfaces.

Hey,
You mean 'Audiowire'?
What a dope! Yes... audiowire....:facepalm: my teensy little brain misfired.

Musicwire, audiowire... let's call the whole thing off.

Ohwell, knew it wasn't firewire, anyway.
So i guess then that the 2408 is forever tethered to 324/424 cards? Seems that would just be a driver, too. At least nowadays that the computers are so much faster. Maybe I might be up to speed, now, too.:spank:

Ponder5

What a dope! Yes... audiowire....:facepalm: my teensy little brain misfired.

Musicwire, audiowire... let's call the whole thing off.

Ohwell, knew it wasn't firewire, anyway.
So i guess then that the 2408 is forever tethered to 324/424 cards? Seems that would just be a driver, too. At least nowadays that the computers are so much faster. Maybe I might be up to speed, now, too.:spank:

Ponder5

Haha.
I didn't know exactly what it was until I looked it up, but I'd heard of audiofire somewhere before.
It's the same connector and port so worth checking, for sure!

Thanks for your reply, Steenamaroo. I'm pretty sure my hardware is known as the MOTU 828 Original. It's definitely not the 828x. Looking around at the MOTU site I'm not seeing any downloads for the 828 Original that MOTU precisely identifies as compatible with Win 10. Of course, that doesn't exactly mean they are not compatible. Win 10 is fairly new, so maybe they simply haven't had time to prove things out. I guess I'll just have to give it try and see what happens. I'll begin by installing the original "MOTU FireWire Audio" disk to get a basic install? If this works, I'll apply whatever updates I have archived, and go from there. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks again for your input. At the very least you got me "thinking" (heuristic value).

Apologies - I took the X to be a placeholder for the various revision numbers but, I realise now, it's not.

I see now that it's officially support up to Win 8.x so yeah...I guess it's suck it and see.
Sorry again, man.

Yeah, I thought the same thing about that "x" denotation. No biggy. I'm hoping they just haven't had the time to prove-out compatibility with Win 10. I'll let you know how it goes soon. Thanks.

Got it working great last nite. Installed original "MOTU FireWire Audio" disc first. Then opened MOTUSetupAudio57483.zip & "Installed Firewire/USB2 Audio" app.
Thanks for your inputs.

Back