old dbx compressor:usefull-or not

les666paul

i have an old dbx 163 with a mono RCA in/out. i not familiar with compressors and im wondering if there could be any uses for it.

my setup is

instruments and mics>>>Mackie 1604 vlz pro>>(via. channel inserts)>>two MOTU 828 firewire interfaces>>>Digital performer 4.6.1

from my mackie i run headphones out of the main mix>>behringer headpone splitter/amplifier.

for outboard effects i have (ART multi verb LT, and lexican pcm80)

i also could use suggestions on my setup

If the dbx unit still works well then I would definitely keep it. It has a lot of use for your instruments and vocs inputs. That Mackie kixer has inserts on it, a good place to start toying with the dbx. I've always been satisfied with the dbx comps. Compressors are kinda left-brained things to figure out, in that they are not inutitive at all, but once you realize what the knobs are doing it will always make sense to you and you will know how to use it on various instruments and things. There are a lot of articles on it, but I learned the most from the simple Alesis 3630 manual, it has a very decent and brief explanation of how the thing works.

while the dbx 163 isn't the worst box in the world, it's also not the best. it's got a "sound" to it, and some folks around here like it on drums especially. it's no RNC, that's for sure.

if you want to sell yours, i'll give ya $40 for it. ;)

cheers,
wade

can you make paralell effects loop for all your instruments using the AUX ins and outs with one compresser.

i tried coverting the aux out and in to RCA and notice the main mix on the board was makin noise, i put on some headphones and it was ringing like there was some feedback. no instruments or mics were pluged in to the board???? i dont get it.

:confused:

Dynamics processors, like compressors, are generally used as insert effects. Aux sends are generally used for time based-fx like reverb and delay.

MadAudio said:
Dynamics processors, like compressors, are generally used as insert effects. Aux sends are generally used for time based-fx like reverb and delay.

so i would need four compressors to compress my drumset?

:eek:

Use it on bass with about 4:1 and slow attack. Or kick drum. Or on piano (try it - you'll recognize the "Mr. Blue Sky" sound)

Back