Noise Problem with PreSonus TubePre

SmattyG

Hey, I just got a PreSonus TubePre, and I am having a small difficulty with it. The unit, which is toted as having an ultra-low amount of noise seems to acctually be adding a significant amount of noise to the signal. When I do vocals, it is not such a big deal, but trying to record guitar has been a big difficulty with this hissing sound. Without the TubePre, the problem hasn't occured, but again, it is supposed to be really quiet: Here is a review at Mix Magazine Online: http://mixonline.com/ar/audio_tools_trade_8

I'm running from a AKG C3000, into the Pre, into an M-Audio Audiophile card, and then into a Harmon Kardon Amp.

I've tried changing cables, tried changing mics, tried bypassing the stereo amp, but nothing seems to make a difference. To get the thing loud enough to pick up guitar nicely, it makes noise. Again, without it there was no problem.... I am starting to wonder if it's possible that I got a defective unit....

Does anyone have any ideas as to why this might be? When I bought the thing, I told the salesperson that I was ready to spend more $$$, but she was convinced that this would be good enough, so I keep thinking that my problem is elsewhere. Any comments/ideas would be really helpful

If you want a quiet preamp you probably shouldn't of bought a cheap tube preamp ;) Doesn't that preamp have a control of how much "tube" you want in the sound. I'd say turn that all the way down.

I've got a Blue Tube which is probably the same amp. It can get a bit noisy if you put much of the tube gain in with the amp gain. Try it with no tube drive. Maybe you need another tube. Do you have the pad engaged? If so, push the button. Are you taking advantage of the balanced output? Can you afford a better amp? If so, take it back.

Yes, even with the tube turned to 0, it is still sucking... Funny, I just passed by the store where I bought it (unfortunately not having the unit with me), and they were totally surprised. Apparently, they have sold many of them, and have used them in-store without any complaints. It's a very big and respectable shop, and they are glad to take it back if it's not meeting my expectations, so they said bring it in with your mic, and we'll check it out. They're being great about it, so I guess I will find out a bit more tomorrow and let you know.

i have the same pre-amp (it was my first) - when i first got it i ran the balanced output into the preamps on my mixer and it sounded hissey and terrible. i thought it was a waste of money, and just shelved it for several months. then one day i pulled it out and ran the unbalanced line out straight to the recorder and it sounded pretty good. it ended up being a decent preamp, and very usable when i run out of other pres.

justwantyou2kno said:
If you want a quiet preamp you probably shouldn't of bought a cheap tube preamp ;) Doesn't that preamp have a control of how much "tube" you want in the sound. I'd say turn that all the way down.

Forget about the tube. If you turn the "tube" down all the way, the pre is still noisy. Mine burnt up. I was happy after that.

My Blue Tube is not noisy at the correct levels - very quiet. I guess I just got a good one. The amp signal itself is a bit dark but it's not hissy unless I crank it too much ( like any other amp. )

Well, now i am stumped! I just brought it back to the store, along with the mic I was using. We plugged them both in, and it was fine. No extrenious noise, even with the Drive and Gain turned up to 50% (which is probably louder than you would ever use it in a recording application with this mic)... So now I'm really confused.

The cables are all new, and the only difference between my setup and theirs, was the final amplification unit... in my case a PC and an HK amp, and in their case a mixing board with powered speakers. However, my setup seems fine without this pre, so I don't think the problem is coming after the preamp.... I'm going to go try again -- don't ask me why, but maybe it'll just begin to work?!

Any other suggestions now that I know that this pre sounds nice and quiet in the store?

SmattyG said:
Well, now i am stumped! I just brought it back to the store, along with the mic I was using. We plugged them both in, and it was fine. No extrenious noise, even with the Drive and Gain turned up to 50% (which is probably louder than you would ever use it in a recording application with this mic)... So now I'm really confused.

The cables are all new, and the only difference between my setup and theirs, was the final amplification unit... in my case a PC and an HK amp, and in their case a mixing board with powered speakers. However, my setup seems fine without this pre, so I don't think the problem is coming after the preamp.... I'm going to go try again -- don't ask me why, but maybe it'll just begin to work?!

Any other suggestions now that I know that this pre sounds nice and quiet in the store?

Your soundcard's Mic input/Line input or some other input that you are not using is on. Turn off ALL ins you are not using.

If anyone has any ideas/suggestions...I would love to hear some! But seems like I've tried everything. But I still encourange and appreciate any thoughts or opinions you may have that could help.
Well, I posted a new reply to your post on GN2. Not sure it will help, but I tried. ;)

It was very kind of you to take your time to help out...
What else am I going to do when I'm sitting at work waiting for the phone to ring? ;)

Sorry it didn't work out. I'm almost curious if a replacement would work better. Actual factory defects are pretty rare, but they do happen.

I just got a used Presonus ADL 600 - love it - they do know how to build a tube preamp. But I also have a TubePre - can't really use it for much.

Absolutely no reason to apologize because nothing worked! Your help was great. And if it didn't work for this, I will remember your advice for any future similar issues. You certainly had goos ideas, and it made me realize I should ground my acoustic bass and probably also my Strat. So you did help. And made me think of some of these problems from a different point of view. I love learning about fixing my own gear. But, I really think this unit is defective. I know you say there are rare, but if anyone is going to get the dud, it would be me.

Get comfy, make a sandwich or grab a cup of coffee :) BecauseI have a long story that should help you understand my frustation level, and why it has such a short fuse lately....

I am determined to learn how to work on my own amps/electronic gear. I've been pretty successful doing work on my guitars and basses, but for some reason am hesitant to open up and work on my amps, or anything like that. Until recently. I bought an older Peavey 2x12 from the 80's. It was bought used from the "Center" I don't want to mention it's name fully, I don't want to make negative comments about them. But I'm sure you know what guitar superstore I'm talking about.

Anyway I found it used for a great price. It was at a store in New York, and I'm in California. I asked the salesman to give it a thorough checking over, and he said he spent 45 minutes checking everything and everything worked perfectly. So I ordered it and had it shipped to me. Within 5 minutes I noticed the footswitch didn't work. I don't "need" a footswitch except on this model it has 3 features...turn on/off reverb - switch between channels clean/distortion - and to combine the two channels. If you don't have a working pedal it automatically combines the channels and that is really a pain to have to deal with ll the knobs for 2 channels. So I looked at the footswitch jack and it was very loose. If I wiggled it, then it would work.

So I called the store and told them it wasn't working and they told me that everything worked. So they actually paid for me to have it fixed. Problem was that the amp "tech" I took it to was stubborn and did lousy work. When I brought it in, I told him simply to replace the female end of the 6-pin DIN input for the footswitch, and leave the footswitch alone. It would cost more for his labor to work on it combined with the parts needed, so again, the "Center" gave me the green light to just get an aftermarket one that is new. It will end up being cheaper anyway. So when I told the tech, he raised his voice and said, "what...do you think that a new one would be better??!!"

Well, yes, it is brand new, very sturdy, made out of metal instead of plastic, and has a brand new cord and male end of the DIN that would have needed replacing on the old one. So yes, I believe it would be much better. He lost it and said "why is your amp in my shop then?"

I told him for the reason I told him up front, to replace the female DIN f.S. input jack on the amp. He refused. He said it was just fine, and when I get the new footswitch he promises that it will be fine, that the input jacks are supposed to be loose. What??

So he calls and says it's ready to pick up. I go to get it and he charged $150 to replace a tiny LED light that turns on when the amp is fired up, and to screw down the reverb tank to the cabinet.

Oh ya, my footswitch was all taken apart, and he didn't fix it. I did work before if I wiggled the male/female connection, so it did work. Now it's in pieces in a paper bag! And he didn't fix the female end on the amp like I asked. So $150 for a light and a few screws in the reverb tank. And nothing I asked him to fix was done, he actully did more harm then good.

I got my new footswitch in the mail, plugged it in, and it DIDN"T work! I knew it wouldn't. Same deal, if I wiggled it, then it would work. So i was right, it was the female input jack. I emailed Peavey a photo of the jack and the head tech replied and told me that it's nowhere near normal and needs to be replaced. Send it to us and we will fix it up for $50. And they did. Excellent job too.

So ever since then, I am determined to learn how to do this stuff myself. Luckily the store I bought it from stood behind their word, and amazingly paid me back for all the repairs. It end up costing as much as the amp itself! So I basically got it for free.

I wasn't trying to do that, but that's just how it worked out. I had to pay Peavey for their work, since the store paid for the original repair, and it wasn't their fault the guy charged so much to do nothing. I also had to pay for the new pedal, but in the end it all evened out because I got ALL of my money back from that awful tech. Had to threaten small claims court, but he paid me back in full. So during this whole mess someone told me "if you want something done the way you want it done...you have to do it yourself. So get a soldering iron and learn" And that's what I've been doing.

So any advice you've given me goes into my fading memory and I will use it someday on something. I'm soaking up as much repair/troubleshooting info that I can.

Sorry fo the long story, but I thought it may shed some light on why I was so frustrated with the Presonus. It's been a long summer of sending things out for repair and not getting good results. Lots of wasted time and cash. So when I bought the TubePre brand new I figured that it would be good to go...plug and play. But after spending two solid days troubleshooting I got a bit frustrated. It's like I wasn't meant to play instruments, I was meant to repair them. It feels like I've spent so much more of my time fixing things then playing them.

And that's when I put it all down and pick up my drumsticks. My drum kit never needs to be repaired! :)

And I'm also curious to see what a replacement TubePre would be like. But I don't know if i should do that or just return it. I'll call them tomorrow when they are open and see what they have to say. That will determine my next step. If they say it sounds like something they've encountered before and it's broken...so send it back and we will glady send yo a new one, I probably will. But if they are unsure about it and act reluctant at all, it's going back for a full refund. Customer service can make or break a business. I hope they have good customer service.

Have a great day! Thanks for listening to my long tedious story (or reading it I mean)

And if anyone can recommend a better preamp in the $100 range, PLEASE do!
I know a quality $100 premap is an oxymoron, but maybe one exists. :)
I've heard great things about the ART Tube MP preamp, but 've also heard they are junk. So I don't know what to think about those?? Anyone have one?

It's an interesting story. See how much easier it is to read when you use paragraphs?

I was looking for the reply I posted earlier today and could not find it, then I realised that this question is posted in multiple threads, please don't do this, post it in one place.

Alan.

It won't ever happen again. I'm getting more crap than help. One guy was helpful, the rest...well....correcting grammar? C'mon! Really? Don't yo have anything better to do? I'm looking for help with gear....from musicians, and not help with my writing from an internet troll.
Don't worry about my long paragraphs or multiple postings. I won't be here anymore.
See you later.
Thank you very much ashcat for your help.
Off to a friendlier forum.

Back