Noise gate?

Hippo

My over 20 years old DOD quad noise gate/expander has expired.

What is a modern possible relacement unit?

Hippo

noisegate

I did a post about noisegates a day or two ago and didn't get a whole lot of responses. The main one im checking into is the Behringer Mulitigate pro xr4400. It has 4 independant gates/expanders. Run you about 129 dollars new. I haven't tried one yet though so im not sure how good it actually is.

The newer Behringer gates are okay, but the older unit I think works a little smoother overall...mainly the threshold. Both old and new pass a very clean signal.

Ed

Thanks to all

I will check out the Behringer unit.(there seems to be nothing else at all around that meets this basic audio tool requirement)
I've found the web site and it looks good for what I want.
Other units there also caught my eye
It all seems so cheap to be so good.
Prices are less than 20 years ago (much much less allowing for inflation!!) for much improved units!!

Wireneck
I will get one this week, would you be interested in what I make of it?

Hippo

For years, I only had the gates in my Presonus ACP-8. They pretty much aren't worth using except on snare, toms, and the right background vocals. I hardly ever use them. But lately, I've found I'm using them more often. So, I finally decided it'd be worth it to get 1 nice 2-ch. gate.

I myself almost went with a used, great condition DS201 and was going to have the Audio Upgrades mod done to it. But after talking to Jim Williams, he said while the DS201 and his mod for it is pretty good, the Aphex 622 stock is just as good if not better. With his mod for it, it's the most unabtrusive gate with the fastest slew rate he's ever seen for a gate.

I paid $225 for a used, absolutely mint Aphex 622 + $15 UPS shipping + $125 for the mod + $11 UPS shipping = $376 total.

Most definitely worth it for me! I FINALLY feel comfortable putting a gate on lead vocals on the very rare occasion I feel it needs it.

Anyway, I wouldn't hesitate using a stock Aphex 622 (used in good condition) for a good price. And when I had the extra money, having the Audio Upgrade done to it.

Hippo,
would definantly like to see what you think of the behringer once you get it.
Ed do you know the model numbers of any of the older units you are refferring to? I was thinking i might could find one on ebay or somewhere used.

thanks
chris

Back