no pre-amp vs mixer

Karel Lootens

Hello, I know there's been a post similar to this just a few days ago... but I was wondering and got lost reading.

can anyone give me a concise answer to this question (yes, I reserved a place in front of the wall so just shoot me after you answer :) )

will I get any improvement when I use a mixer pre-amp (like the "way to cheap" Phonic MU502) when compared to the ac-97 mic preamp in my laptop?

I can't spend big bucks on a preamp yet, and the money won't go down the drain since I already have a future application for the crappy mixer. I just want to know if I will actually have ANY benefit :)

I was just looking at a vx2000 for offer at 50 euros,

I kinda recall someone saying it was decent just yesterday... which would give me the better value?

if it isn't really better I think I'll let it pass since we can't really use a voice processor in the youth group, in contrast to the mixer. if it's any value, it does incorporate a bunch of features more of course...

The mixer pre is probably good enough at this stage of your recording career. Plus it comes with a mixer which is useful in itself. I agree that a PC's mic input is not really worthwhile.

Just about anything would be a step up from your laptop's onboard soundcard... but you get what you pay for... If the entire mixer costs $50 then they probably spent about $3 on the preamps...

Don't expect miracles... but you should notice an improvement

Back