Nice Rack-Mount Channel Strip with Pre and EQ-Chameleon Labs 7602 MkII

homestudioguy

Over the short course of time I've been doing Home Recording, I've had and recommended a number preamps and channel strips and want to suggest another for consideration and it is the Chameleon Labs 7602 Mk II that is CL's "Clone" version of a Neve 1073 Channel Strip that I have had for a couple of years.

It comes in a $699 Stock Version: Chameleon Labs 7602 MKII | Sweetwater.com and a $1199 X-Mod Version with high-end British input and output transformers from Carnhill/Saint Ives like the Original: Chameleon Labs 7602 MKII with X-MOD Option | Sweetwater.com

From my perspective, the $699 version is a great step into the realm of good quality equipment and no matter which version you buy, the EQ section on this unit is Outstanding and both versions give you that warm "British Pre" flavor.

They also make their $529 "7720" Stereo Bus Compressor (SSL Clone) that gets high marks across the board and in that regard,
Chameleon Labs was recently purchased by Marcello Vercelli who designed equipment for RODE and Mackie to name a few and they will be having a re-launch later this week at NAMM and should have some new products additions.

I will make it a point to do a formal review on the 7602 MkII, but in the mean time, web searches on it will provide you with more than I can at this time.

ChamLabs 7602MkII.JPG

Sweetwater is in Ft. Wayne, Indiana about 1 hour north of Indianapolis via I-69.
Ive been there 4 times during their yearly "Gearfest" each June.
Great time to go.
Super Low prices on certain items during that weekend ($57 for an SM57, $58 for an SM58...)

If you can get a group of 4 to go, you can split ($) a double queen bed motel room and gas 4-ways.
The Guest Presenters, Instructors and Performers are outstanding.
This past June, I saw Pat Metheny play with Yamaha bassist Nathan East and afterwards he let me check out his Yamaha Guitar while he chatted with folks, allowed for photos and so on.
Do a websearch on Sweetwater Gearfest 2015 and check out the videos and photos and other stuff.
ALSO!!! Sweetwater Music gives away thousands of dollars worth of cool prizes throughout the course of each day but you must be there to win.
In fact, I won a pair of FOCAL Alpha 65 Studio Monitors in a contest sponsored by "Puremix" who video taped many of the Learning Sessions.

Not to nitpick, but Sweetwater is just a tad over 2 hours from Indy, unless you live on the furthest north area (then it's about 1:55). :D

I have not been to a gearfest yet; next year is my year though as I'll be living about 20 minutes outside of the Fort. Sweetwater has a bunch of stuff going on all the time; I really want to get in on their weekly acoustic jam - at least that's free. :guitar:

Back