Next purchase...ribbon or tube mic?

Soundmind??

I have the following LD condensor mics already:
AKG C414BLS
Octava 319
Neumann U87ai and TLM103
Shure KSM 44
Rode NT2000
Also have 2 Avalon 737sp that can be driven to give the "tube" sound.
Should the next addition to the locker be a tube or ribbon mic? I already have an adequate supply of SD mics. Sorry, meant to put this in the Mic forum.

Since I only have a few high quality mics, just looking at getting another for voice and general use (acoustic guitar, piano, brass, etc.) I often have 3-4 vocalists and 2 accoustic guitars and sometimes a banjo (7 tracks) and I'm trying to decide how to best meet the need with about $1000.

If you record guitar amps or brass from time to time, I wouild also say a ribbon (assuming a good ribbon like Royer, etc.) - since you already have a varied collection of large diaphragm condensers.

You didn't really say what you have in small diaphragm condensers, but that would be another place to upgrade if, for instance, you don't have any good small diaphragm omnis, or if you aren't happy with the ones you have now.

For a $1000 budget, I personally think that the ribbon mics available are much better than the tube mics you will get. As far as LD condensors go, it looks like you have a great atart. Are any of them pairs though? If I were looking for a new LD condensor, I would worry less about whether or not it is tubed... but maybe look for a mic with a lot of character:)

I've been looking at the AEA 84 as well as the 92. The 92 is supposed to be designed to be crisp and clean on 1 side and darker on the other side supposedly giving more versatility. Anyone tried it to see how well it works?

I have eight or nine SDCs, 2 MXL 603, 1 604, 2 Sure KSM 109, and 2 Samson CO2s. They seem to work well. I've used them on Violin, Viola, and Acoustic Guitar with good results. Thinking about a matched pair of Royers SDCs though.

I think you would be very happy with the C42's (Josephson), but forgive my ignorance about your small diaphragms - are any of those omnis?

The reason I ask, is because a good set of small omnis will be far more accurate than any other kind of mic - and you may find that a valuable asset in certain situations. As an example, I use a pair of Earthworks QTC's on my grand piano, and am very happy with how the accuracy and lack of proximity effect captures the instrument.

Soundmind?? said:
I've been looking at the AEA 84 as well as the 92. The 92 is supposed to be designed to be crisp and clean on 1 side and darker on the other side supposedly giving more versatility. Anyone tried it to see how well it works?

AEA R92 review

Thanks for the link, sounds like the 92 may be the one I'm looking for. If things go well with the stock market in the next few weeks, I may be able to purchas the 92, a pair of Josephson C42s, and I'm looking at the new AEA ribbon mic pre...any thoughts on that. I also have a matched pair of MXL 993's but they are not omni's. The C42s should fill the hole in SDCs.

you can get a beyer m130 and m160 for 1000 bucks. those two mics are fantastic.

I dont care for AEAs particularly, I much prefer Coles and Beyer.

Thanks Big Ray...the way the markets went today, it may be a while so I have more time to think about it. Still not sold on any brand just yet. Did you mean I could get one of each for 1000 or 1000 each? :rolleyes:

now there's a concept...............................

get your studio money from playing the stock market. Apperently well too for dropping money left and right like that. You must be watching that one guy on CNBC with the button.

Then I suppose too, that if your studio was a licensed buisness the purchases would be tax deductable as well. Plus Bush already gives ya the tax break.

I'm buying stock, screw compressor, mic pre's, and mics. I'm buying stocks in Oil, just like that dude says. Then sell the shit out of it, when it's at $95 a barrel. Bang!!!!! I've got tons of gear...

Soundmind?? said:
Thanks Big Ray...the way the markets went today, it may be a while so I have more time to think about it. Still not sold on any brand just yet. Did you mean I could get one of each for 1000 or 1000 each? :rolleyes:
I mean you could get BOTH for 1000 total.

killmachine said:
now there's a concept...............................

get your studio money from playing the stock market. Apperently well too for dropping money left and right like that. You must be watching that one guy on CNBC with the button.

Then I suppose too, that if your studio was a licensed buisness the purchases would be tax deductable as well. Plus Bush already gives ya the tax break.

I'm buying stock, screw compressor, mic pre's, and mics. I'm buying stocks in Oil, just like that dude says. Then sell the shit out of it, when it's at $95 a barrel. Bang!!!!! I've got tons of gear...

Do I sense some hostility there?? You've got it wrong. I've worked hard to get where I am, and work hard to stay there. While a lot of my buddies were partying and playing games nights and weekends, I was going to school after I got home from work. After I got out of the Air Force, I spent about 10 years studying electronics and engineering, and the work payed off. In other words, I chose to invest my time in something worthwhile.

I also invest in a 401k plan since I can't depend on government (social security) to be there if/when I am old enough to receive it. I pay my fair share of taxes too. I'm not rich....and didn't inherit a bunch of money like Ted Kennedy, I've worked for it. I leave for work at 4:30 a.m. and get home at around 6 p.m., usually mentally exhausted from having to use my brain all day. So lay off the bitterness toward those while weren't born with a silver spoon in their mouth.... like the Kennedy's and others....but chose to work hard, invest, and enjoy some of the fruits of their labor.

The statement about the market is true...I invest a small percentage in after tax funds for purchases, travel, vacation, etc. I'd rather have it in the market, even with the risk, than in a savings acount drawing 1.5% interest.

Big Ray....both for a thousand....worth taking a look! Thanks

Hell no, I think that's a great idea both for extra income and money for studio. i was listening to that guy in a radio interview. He was saying he got started buying 5 stocks in different markets with $250 and now he's worth 1.5 mil in assets.

He also said you can get started with about $500 and buy at least 1 stock in minerals so Oil, nat gas, whatever.

I've seriously been thinking about it lately, and with that insparation I think I may.

Back