The Next 1000

Kilroy

I'm asking advice on spending the next $1000 or so in my studio. I'm currently using a Focusrite 2i2 (I really don't need more than 2 channels at the moment). Reaper (DAW), Yamaha HS7 monitors, plenty of in the box amp emulators (GR5, Bias FX and Amp, many freeware simulators) and Audio Technica AT2020 for vocals. I'm mostly recording rock and 80's metal. The room is decently treated and I have in the box drums. (superior, addictive) Now here's the question. Where should the next $1000 go? All advice welcome.
Thanks,
Kilroy

Currently a Les Paul Standard, Les Paul Slash model, 1984 Takamine acoustic, ancient modded Strat copy and Ibanez bass

SM7 + KT1176 or MikeE/EL9....or a upgrade headset + headphone amp.....or some low end monitors to compliment the HS7....or a Fender tube Amp and Fender.... how about a screamin new PC with Cloud backup....or....
some inflatable dolls for decor....maybe get a 8 channel interface like I did, even though I only need 2 you have 6 extra!! ...or Gibson SG!!! thats it!

a Gibson SG....heavy metal Tony Iommi...thats my final answer.

An SG sounds good. I've had one on my radar for a while. You can find one of my recordings here. SONG I've been thinking of another mic, but just haven't settled on one. I'm just asking for advice on something I might have missed that would really add to it all. The 8 channel interface is a real possibility.

seems you like what you have so how about upgrade from the Scarlett to the Clarett?
go Thunderbolt.

supposedly you'd get upgraded preamps, converters, better drivers= latency improved by a ms or two.
If you like it you could sell the Scarlett. If not take the Clarett back for a refund.

$1000 ... go buy the Clarett...thats my final vote.

The HS7s are a 5+ year old design and a 'budget' monitor at that (~ $500?) There have been some improvements in that time.

Dave.

how about a screamin new PC with Cloud backup

1st choice.

An SG sounds good. I've had one on my radar for a while. You can find one of my recordings here. SONG

I just listened to your "A Daughter's Song". Very heartfelt and it brought just a little tear. I have 5 granddaughters. ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL!

The 8 channel interface is a real possibility.

2nd choice.

3rd choice. Make money order out to "Mack Caster" and send to 1313 Mockingbird Lane. (The Old Munsters TV show address).

Thank you for listening Mack. "A Daughter's song" was written for my wife, who's father was in hospice care and my two girls. I'm glad you liked it.

Back