New Preamp....But which one

BroTools

So I'm in the market for a new pre in the $500 or less range. This will be my main pre, used for recording vocals, drums, guitar, and bass.

I am looking at the Black Lion Audio Auteur from the research I've done this seems like a quality piece. However I am wondering if I would get better results with the ART Digital MPA Pro as I am running into an MBox2 and could bypass the MB2's converters by running into the spdif.

So what do you guys think? And anyone happen to have experience with both these pre's? Also other recommendations (and why) always welcome.
Thx.

So I'm in the market for a new pre in the $500 or less range. This will be my main pre, used for recording vocals, drums, guitar, and bass.

I am looking at the Black Lion Audio Auteur from the research I've done this seems like a quality piece. However I am wondering if I would get better results with the ART Digital MPA Pro as I am running into an MBox2 and could bypass the MB2's converters by running into the spdif.

So what do you guys think? And anyone happen to have experience with both these pre's? Also other recommendations (and why) always welcome.
Thx.

Ive had both ART and Presonus products in the past and I wouldnt use either again...I normally like to reccomend the Line6 UX8 as both an interface and a preamp...besides you have to have 8 inputs.

I don't have the digital MPA...but I have the ART MPA Gold, which is similar. I got it after a few years on the budget Presonus Firebox. I run the Gold through the Firebox. For me is was a big improvement in quality and control. I've since changed the factory tubes/ toobs (depending on which side you're on and who and what you believe) for nicer ones. For me, it's awesome. But I'm already looking at my next preamp. Maybe the 'Really Nice Preamp' from FMR Audio - RNP8380. I've heard a lot of good things about that one. You should look into it.

http://www.fmraudio.com/RNP8380.htm

It's 2 channels and $500 I think.

I have owned or had a lot of experience with :-

SPL Goldmike mkI
ART MPA Gold
M-Audio Tampa
Focusrite Trakmaster Pro
Studio Projects VTB1
M-Audio DMP3
Behringer mixer pres

Out of this bunch I kept the Tampa and DMP3.
I found the ART too noisy for any serious critical recording. The Tampa and DMP3 were loads quieter. The SPL Goldmike mkI was a nice preamp but I didn't think it was worth the price back then.
The DMP3 was quieter than the VTB1 and offered a little more detail and had 2 channels.
I found the Focusrite Trakmaster a little thin and sterile sounding for my liking.
I picked up the Tampa for £95 secondhand and was pleasantly surprised with it's performance. It's worth noting though that certain mics can sound a little too bright and harsh with it but other mics can sound great!

Here is a clip of the Tampa with my £65 Studio Projects B1

http://www.box.net/shared/nv1m67ooyk

Since then I bought a secondhand Focusrite ISA One with digital card and this is considerably quieter than my Tampa (not that the Tampa was that noisy!).

Another preamp that's worth checking out is the Golden Age Projects PRE-73. These have been getting great reviews.

I have owned or had a lot of experience with :-

SPL Goldmike mkI
ART MPA Gold
M-Audio Tampa
Focusrite Trakmaster Pro
Studio Projects VTB1
M-Audio DMP3
Behringer mixer pres

Out of this bunch I kept the Tampa and DMP3.
I found the ART too noisy for any serious critical recording. The Tampa and DMP3 were loads quieter. The SPL Goldmike mkI was a nice preamp but I didn't think it was worth the price back then.
The DMP3 was quieter than the VTB1 and offered a little more detail and had 2 channels.
I found the Focusrite Trakmaster a little thin and sterile sounding for my liking.
I picked up the Tampa for £95 secondhand and was pleasantly surprised with it's performance. It's worth noting though that certain mics can sound a little too bright and harsh with it but other mics can sound great!

Since then I bought a secondhand Focusrite ISA One with digital card and this is considerably quieter than my Tampa (not that the Tampa was that noisy!).

Another preamp that's worth checking out is the Golden Age Projects PRE-73. These have been getting great reviews.

I Agree The sound of the Trakmaster (even with the A/D Card) is Thin and Sterile comparedwith the Tampa and my Twintrak (Via Analog)
Nice Track Dickie! What did you use for the Piano?

...you might be better off posing your question on Gearslutz, where people have some experience with the Black Lion Auteur...the Auteur is a pro quality mic pre...comparing it to the MPA is foolish (IMHO)...don't let the price fool you...it's serious quality...better than the RNP as well...the only other pre I like right now in that ballpark is the GAP Pre73..."junkyard Neve"...but it's cool...got some "mojo"...but the Auteur owns it's pricepoint...;)

Thx.

Its going to take me another month or two to get it together, but over at http://ronansrecordingshow.com/ I am working on an upcoming episode to address that exact question. I am trying to find the best mic pre under $500. I am getting the pres together now. Just tested the True Systems solo with very good results.

...you might be better off posing your question on Gearslutz, where people have some experience with the Black Lion Auteur...the Auteur is a pro quality mic pre...comparing it to the MPA is foolish (IMHO)...don't let the price fool you...it's serious quality...better than the RNP as well...the only other pre I like right now in that ballpark is the GAP Pre73..."junkyard Neve"...but it's cool...got some "mojo"...but the Auteur owns it's pricepoint...;)

I appreciate the input! The more I hear about the Auteur the more I lean towards it. I'm about 85% sure I'll pick one up. I'll let you guys know what I think, and thanks to EVERYONE for the input
Cheershttps://homerecording.com/bbs/images/icons/icon14.gif

Ive allways wondered how they get by on just 2 channels...you cant record drums with only 2 channels?

you don't need 8 channels of every pre that you have. just because a pre is only 1 or two channels does not mean that you only have that one pre. i personally i have 5 different types of preamps in my rack for a total of 13 channels.

That's kind of good. I just noticed a $60 B1 (USD) on craigslist yesterday. Perhaps a second look. The emphasis on two and four is a little too strong in the bass and piano at the start. Maybe not individually, but when it's combined with drums, bass, and piano, it's almost annoying. A little better later when the piano plays something different than the bass. It is the style (jazz) to emphasize two and four, but still. It's almost parody-ish, if death metal played jazz. Which contradicts the laid back feel of that song. But still nice.

Back