new to the game

philatkinsmusic

Hi guys, i have recently got a few bits and bobs to start my own recording as studio time seemed expensive and time consuming,
i am hoping someone who is in the know would be able to direct me on how to setting this up for the best recordings i could do, it is simply for putting vocals to track for a demo, but i want this good quality,i cant afford to buy any more stuff so please dont say i need to buy.......
the stuff i have is
a normall condenser mic
behringer eurorack
behringer composer pro xl
and my pcwhich has adobe auditions and cubase
soundforge 8
acid pro, and a sound blaster audigy sound card
also a mxl usb mic

if anyone could reply or pm me with and helpfull info of how to get this all working together it would be much appreciated
many thanks
phil

philatkinsmusic said:
if anyone could reply or pm me with and helpfull info of how to get this all working together it would be much appreciated
many thanks
phil

i just bought an aluminum tipi. can you tell me how to put it together? where do the screws go?

Phil, I think the best thing you could do is find someone in your area who could help you out putting it together. Maybe you have a friend or family member who could come over and supervise. If you are starting from a pile of gear, it's really tough to do that remotely on a message board.

Like its been said many times before--go to the tweekhead site and read and re-read the info there. Theres a huge amount of info that can help you get started!

philatkinsmusic said:
many thanks
phil
For starters:
Connect the L and R main outputs of your Eurorack to the line input (stereo) of your soundcard. You'll need to probably get a Y-connector for 1/4" plugs to a stereo 1/8" plug or some such.

Plug your condenser mic into one of the mic (xlr) inputs of the Eurorack. Make sure phantom power is on. Zero the volume (gain) pots. Actually, zero everything. Plug headphones into it if you have them. Now turn it on. Turn the gain control on your mic channel about half way up, and the channel fader, main fader and and headphones gain also.

Make sure your software is set so it sees the soundcard. Try speaking into the mic and see if you can hear it through the head phones, and see if it shows up in your software level meters. If so, you can futz around with the levels (soundcard and Eurorack) to minimise noise and distortion.

If you get this far successfully, then you can start worrying about the compressor.

Hopefully you have manuals for your software and hardware to help you along. Good luck.

ok guys sorry for the lack of info with regards to what i need, i have a few things i am trying to work out but i thought maybe i had it totally set up wrong thats why i said from the start,
prob 1. the sound of the vocal when it is recorded is so uneaven it peaks all over the place of i stay away from the mic and it sounds miles away hence why i got the compressor i was told that would help but i have read the instructions and still am clueless of what dials go where,

prob 2. as i was recording the vocal onto the pc, the backing track was coming back through, sop the vocal had the track very faint in the background, thats why i got the audigy but its still the same,

prob 3. when i sing i hear it back through my headphones as a kind of delay which i dont understand how to get rid of.

i hope this is more of a specific thing to ask, i just though if someone could go through everything from the start i wopuld know if its set up right,

sorry for being a pain in the ... guys
many thanks
phil

You need to tell us how you have your hardware hooked up. How is mic (brand name/model?) connected to mixer, how is compressor connected to mixer, how is mixer connected to soundcard. Specifically the names of the inputs and outputs.

I'd suggest disconnecting everything...
  1. Plug USB mic into computer
  2. Record Vocal in DAW
  3. How are the levels???

The first problem you are having sounds like mic control. You want to learn to keep the mic further away for louder passages, and closer for quieter ones. A compressor set to about 2.5/1 ratio, with a quick attack and medium decay will help, but practice is the only real method of dealing with this. Use your headphones and work with the setup you plan on using until you are confident that you know it's response and the proper distance for your dynamic range.
The second problem sounds like you are having leakage. Use headphones with good isolation, keep the mic gain at a lower level, and if you have a noise gate or expander, this may help as well. Also, try to use your headphones at the lowest volume that still allows you to monitor well. If this problem is instead in the electronics or software, it may require gear-specific solutions.
Your third problem appears to be latency in monitoring. If you have a way to split whatever pre you are using into two outputs, you may be able to listen to your voice without delay through a headphone amp, but as long as you are going through your soundcard, you will have some latency. This can be reduced by a number of methods, dependant on what gear you are using, usually having to do with the cache size and amount of memory you have. There is a great deal of information here accessible through the search function that may help you get this where you can use it.
Sorry that this isn't more tailored to your needs, but hopefully it will be somewhat helpful to you.

Hi I suggest if you actually want to get something recorded that sounds good within the next 5 years I'd take back all your gear and buy some studio time at a decent studio. You got a long ways to go if you don't even know how to hook a compressor up! Here's a simple analogy: Hi, I bought all the stuff to build a house but I'm not sure how to put it together, could you guys explain to me on line how to build a house? Now if you bought all the stuff to build a house, practiced building a house and maybe worked with a a few people who knew how to build a house and read a lot about building houses in probably about 10 years you might know how to build a house well maybe. That's all on top if you have an aptituded to build a house. Good luck, literally
!

TLA,
Sweetnubs

sweetnubs said:
Hi I suggest if you actually want to get something recorded that sounds good within the next 5 years I'd take back all your gear and buy some studio time at a decent studio. You got a long ways to go if you don't even know how to hook a compressor up! Here's a simple analogy: Hi, I bought all the stuff to build a house but I'm not sure how to put it together, could you guys explain to me on line how to build a house? Now if you bought all the stuff to build a house, practiced building a house and maybe worked with a a few people who knew how to build a house and read a lot about building houses in probably about 10 years you might know how to build a house well maybe. That's all on top if you have an aptituded to build a house. Good luck, literally
!

TLA,
Sweetnubs

not all house builders know how to build a house for crap either. maybe that's why he's here. that and this place is called homerecording.com. see how that works nubby girl? home, as in house, minus the **** (<kunt).

With that equipment list............................Yes.

Dude, seriously?:confused:
He is more than capable of making some sounds with that equipment!!:)
Good sounds?....You and I don't know!!:D....but the potential is there to make something reasonable, and learn a thing or two aswell.;)

I wish I could've started out with that gear!!!....:eek:

Back