Need some help setting my compressor please

cjacek

Analogue Enthusiast
Hello,

Currently I have a Mackie 1202 VLZ PRO mixer and the DBX 266XL compressor and I hooked it up into the Mackie's insert for channel one (for voice) using my sm57. I hope I can clearly explain my dilema so here goes .. I use moderate settings for voice to control it but not to squash the dynamics totally. I use 1:2 - 1:4 ratio max, the "overeasy" and "automatic" release/attack times and it all sounds very natural. Problem is I don't know when, and at what point, on the Mackie's LED meters should the compressor start to clamp down on the input signal. Should the comp start to reduce level before it reaches 0db or at 0db or after ? Also, what's a good way to always prevent the compressor from taking away too much of the higher frequencies ? Another question which I'm struggling with is: Is there a compressor set-up routine that most recording engineers/singers use before recording ? Do you, for example, first set the level without the compressor or how does it go ? There are just too many variables to play with and I feel a bit overwhelmed and I'am asking is there a process from A to B to C to D etc ... that one must go through when setting a compressor ? Also, I found myself talking really loud when setting these levels and then couldn't sing cause my vocal chords had a workout just from the setting up part. Is it neccessary to sing/talk loud for an extended period of time when setting this thing up ? How do you people go about doing this ? Also, it's hard to set a compressor when some of your softer songs react differently with a compressor than do some loud ones and I find I have to re-do the whole set-up, with once again the strain on my voice from adjusting levels. Then the levels are wrong again for another song. Is there a way to do this without the associated vocal fatique and constant adjustments ? I would rather set a "universal" comp level for my voice, no matter the song type, and just focus on adjusting levels for my backing tracks. Thanks a lot and for someone who has my type of set-up, please provide YOUR example settings and any other advice. Many thanks for you help.

Daniel

Wow.
... Problem is I don't know when, and at what point, on the Mackie's LED meters should the compressor start to clamp down on the input signal. Should the comp start to reduce level before it reaches 0db or at 0db or after ?
... Is there a compressor set-up routine that most recording engineers/singers use before recording ? Do you, for example, first set the level without the compressor or how does it go?...

These two are related. I'd recommend setting the mic/mixer gain as per mackie's setup instructions first without the comp engaged.
Then add in the comp. The gain reduction led's on the comp will give a visual indication of how much you're compressing (not the mixer's), but how much you compress should be by how it sounds. Use the meters as added information.
But, you will be establishing these operating levels for each song, depending on your volume range. Similar volume songs can have the same mixer gain setting (the margins are fairly wide), but i would suggest that the compressor settings should be tailored for each.

...Also, what's a good way to always prevent the compressor from taking away too much of the higher frequencies ?...

Some comps seem to loose highs due to their general tone quality. The other variable is attack and release speed. Very fast attacks kill transients -part of what is 'presence'. Often a fast release will bring back some brightness, I think by virtue of being able to hear what's happening right after the peak is brought down -ie; there's less of a hole there.

...There are just too many variables to play with and I feel a bit overwhelmed and I'am asking is there a process from A to B to C to D etc ...
Don't feel alone. There's alot going on in here.:D

...Also, I found myself talking really loud when setting these levels and then couldn't sing cause my vocal chords had a workout just from the setting up part. Is it necessary to sing/talk loud for an extended period of time when setting this thing up?...

This sounds like a waste. How 'bout getting settings while you're getting warmed up for the song, record it, and listen back. Then adjust if needed. Set for the song, not for the takling..

...Also, it's hard to set a compressor when some of your softer songs react differently with a compressor than do some loud ones and I find I have to re-do the whole set-up, with once again the strain on my voice from adjusting levels. Then the levels are wrong again for another song. I would rather set a "universal" comp level for my voice, no matter the song type, and just focus on adjusting levels for my backing tracks...

Sorry, don't think that's how it works.:)
And it's one of the real good reasons why, if you're still learning how to dial uo just the right compression for each song, it can be a WHOLE lot easier to just get a good gain/record level -and take-first, and deal with the compression later.
:D :D
Wayne

Last edited:
mixsit said:
Wow.
... Problem is I don't know when, and at what point, on the Mackie's LED meters should the compressor start to clamp down on the input signal. Should the comp start to reduce level before it reaches 0db or at 0db or after ?
... Is there a compressor set-up routine that most recording engineers/singers use before recording ? Do you, for example, first set the level without the compressor or how does it go?...

These two are related. I'd recommend setting the mic/mixer gain as per mackie's setup instructions first without the comp engaged.
Then add in the comp. The gain reduction led's on the comp will give a visual indication of how much you're compressing (not the mixer's), but how much you compress should be by how it sounds. Use the meters as added information.
But, you will be establishing these operating levels for each song, depending on your volume range. Similar volume songs can have the same mixer gain setting (the margins are fairly wide), but i would suggest that the compressor settings should be tailored for each.

...Also, what's a good way to always prevent the compressor from taking away too much of the higher frequencies ?...

Some comps seem to loose highs due to their general tone quality. The other variable is attack and release speed. Very fast attacks kill transients -part of what is 'presence'. Often a fast release will bring back some brightness, I think by virtue of being able to hear what's happening right after the peak is brought down -ie; there's less of a hole there.

...There are just too many variables to play with and I feel a bit overwhelmed and I'am asking is there a process from A to B to C to D etc ...
Don't feel alone. There's alot going on in here.:D

...Also, I found myself talking really loud when setting these levels and then couldn't sing cause my vocal chords had a workout just from the setting up part. Is it necessary to sing/talk loud for an extended period of time when setting this thing up?...

This sounds like a waste. How 'bout getting settings while you're getting warmed up for the song, record it, and listen back. Then adjust if needed. Set for the song, not for the takling..

...Also, it's hard to set a compressor when some of your softer songs react differently with a compressor than do some loud ones and I find I have to re-do the whole set-up, with once again the strain on my voice from adjusting levels. Then the levels are wrong again for another song. I would rather set a "universal" comp level for my voice, no matter the song type, and just focus on adjusting levels for my backing tracks...

Sorry, don't think that's how it works.:)
And it's one of the real good reasons why, if you're still learning how to dial uo just the right compression for each song, it can be a WHOLE lot easier to just get a good gain/record level -and take-first, and deal with the compression later.
:D :D
Wayne

Thanks very much for the good advice!

Daniel

Back