The need for a highend audio converter/interface

SAMMIX

Hi there, some one told me to upgrade my fast trackpro interface to the likes of lynx aurora 8 converter if i must get a bigger mix with more depth.

My question is; am i going to really notice big difference if i invest in a highend converter wen it comes to my sound output? I'll like to hear from those who have experienced both cheap converters and the big costly ones what improvements they noticed after upgrading their converter. thanks

I used to use both a Phonic mixer interface and Lavry Blacks. Extreme opposite ends of the converter quality curve. I heard a difference, but it wasn't much. There are so many other factors that affect the quality of your mixes before the converters become significant.

If you were a pro commercial recording studio or a mastering house, and you needed to insure sonics down to the most minute level....yeah, buy very high-end converters.
Otherwise, the overall quality of your mix, and the ability to create a "bigger" sounding mix are not going to be directly affected a heck of a lot by one brand of converter or the next.
In your case with the fast trackpro, the other aspects of the unit (like the preamps) might benefit from upgrading, but just the conversion....not that you would really notice or that your mixes would instantly jump in quality.
Also, the lynx is just a pure converter....so you will still be tracking through the preamps of your fast trackpro or something else.

That said, it's certainly a better way to go with having individual components, and keeping things like preamps separate from the actual converter boxes, or if you need multiple, simultaneous conversion channels, then you will benefit from the lynx.....but that will still have little impact on making your mixes sound "bigger".

Most time, better mixes start with better tracking....and that includes both gear and technique. After that, knowing how to mix whatever tracks you have, is the other half. Converters won't make much difference for that....but if you can afford better gear, there's certainly nothing wrong with having it, and there are always small upward increments in overall quality with better gear, just not the dramatic improvements you think will happen.

Back