Need Help On Rnc Compressor!!!!!!

Oxcyde

Hi all, I really need your help.
I just got an RNC compressor and it has really confused me in the way of connecting it to my mixer.

This is the mixer I'm using:

amx100big.jpg

It's an Alto - AMX 100 -10 channel.
Now what has really confused me is, that in the RNC manual it says you can't use balanced lines with TRS 1/4" plugs with the RNC unit. It doesn't work on balanced leads at all for that matter.

I've got a mic running through my XLR lead into my mixer using phantom power which I guess is all balanced, so how do I get around this problem?
If I go out an buy a 'Y' cable with a TRS jack on one end and a 2 mono TS jacks on the other end, plugging in mono jacks in the IN and OUT on the RNC, where would I plug in the TRS sleave?

Would really appreciate your help guys, thanks heaps!

Hi all, I really need your help.
I just got an RNC compressor and it has really confused me in the way of connecting it to my mixer.

This is the mixer I'm using:

amx100big.jpg

It's an Alto - AMX 100 -10 channel.
Now what has really confused me is, that in the RNC manual it says you can't use balanced lines with TRS 1/4" plugs with the RNC unit. It doesn't work on balanced leads at all for that matter.

I've got a mic running through my XLR lead into my mixer using phantom power which I guess is all balanced, so how do I get around this problem?
If I go out an buy a 'Y' cable with a TRS jack on one end and a 2 mono TS jacks on the other end, plugging in mono jacks in the IN and OUT on the RNC, where would I plug in the TRS sleave?

Would really appreciate your help guys, thanks heaps!
The insert of the channel you have mic plugged in, if your mixer has them(doubt it). If you don't have inserts, then use the pre-fade aux and send to the RNC, then return on a free channel or aux returns. This does not require the Y lead, like the inserts option, but 2 standard jack(TS) leads. Why the hell did you get an RNC, with that mixer?

No channel inserts...

But I've got an 'Aux Send' and an 'Aux Return'.

I've had this mixer for about 2 years.

No channel inserts...

But I've got an 'Aux Send' and an 'Aux Return'.

I've had this mixer for about 2 years.
If you hadn't already bought the RNC, i'd suggest upgrading other things before this, but anyway, just connect the aux send(in pre-fade mode) to the RNC IN, and OUT to aux returns, or a free channel(3/4 or 5/6). Make sure the level of the channel the mic is connected to, is down. Then use the level of the auxreturn or returning channel to control the volume of the compressor. Also, you could mix the two levels(dry and compressed) if you wished...

Good luck :D

Then use the level of the auxreturn or returning channel to control the volume of the compressor.
I wouldn't run dynamics through the aux send if at all possible... I know the difficulties in inserting the RNC through an unbalanced path... but it can be done... a search on this board will yield results...

Last edited:
Since your mixer does not have inserts you just need to use 2 standard 1/4 x 1/4 male plugs and run the output of your mixer to the input of your rnc. Then the output of your rnc to the input of your sound card or whatever it is your sending your signal to.

Your main 1/4" outs are balanced TRS jacks, right? So just use the "Track Out" RCA jacks, which are unbalanced, to go to the RNC. Then connect the RNC to your interface.

Last edited:
I would think like any other mixer today the outputs are both balanced and unbalanced.

I would think like any other mixer today the outputs are both balanced and unbalanced.
That would make it simple if they are. Just use TS plugs coming from the main outputs. RCA outputs on mixers typically carry the same signal as the main outs though, just unbalanced.

I wouldn't run dynamics through the aux send if at all possible... I know the difficulties in inserting the RNC through an unbalanced path... but it can be done... a search on this board will yield results...
You're probably right. I was just giving a suggestion which will allow for the rest of the mixer to be used as normal.

I was actually going to use the Aux suggestion but since you made that sketchy I'm confused again.

I've got one 'main output' which is 1 jack port and the 'Tape Out' is RCA, so should I go and buy RCA converters to jack?

CONFUSING!

Also, if the RNC goes to my soundcard directly, that defeats the purpose of having a multi-channel mixer because I can't use it lol. My mixer has Tape Out going to my soundcard line-in.

I was actually going to use the Aux suggestion but since you made that sketchy I'm confused again.

I've got one 'main output' which is 1 jack port and the 'Tape Out' is RCA, so should I go and buy RCA converters to jack?

CONFUSING!
"Jack" means a connection point you plug into. A plug is the mechanical connector that goes into a jack.

You need a cable that has an RCA plug on on one end and a 1/4" plug (TS) on the other. Use that to go from the Tape Out jack to the RNC.

then the RNC to......?
It'll have to be my soundcard aye, otherwise is there a way around this?
Why can't I use the Main Output jack?

Why can't I use the Main Output jack?
We're going around in circles.:eek:

Try it. If it was a Mackie mixer the main outs work with balanced (TRS) or unbalanced TS) connections. Dunno about yours. See what works. Will work for sure with the RCA output jacks.

ok so I've tried Tape Out (RCA) from my mixer to the RNC, from my RNC I got a guitar lead (TS Plug) to my soundcard. I can hear my voice trhough the headphones but I can't really hear much of a difference and there is no Level lights flashing on the Gain Reduction Meter.
But I guess if I can hear myself the connection is right yeah?

Hmmm.

Try it. If it was a Mackie mixer the main outs work with balanced (TRS) or unbalanced TS) connections. Dunno about yours. See what works.

I tried TS from Main Output to to the RNC and it's doing the exact same thing as what the RCA was doing, goes straight through, but no gain reduction. Very confusing.

I tried TS from Main Output to to the RNC and it's doing the exact same thing as what the RCA was doing, goes straight through, but no gain reduction. Very confusing.
You are returning from the sound card to the desk?

Yeah boys I've figured it all out, with me... new toys = new problems, with everything I buy! haha, but atleast I've got it sorted I just needed to spend some time fucking with it.

I know I'm still in the process of learning how to compress but with the RNC do you normally need to lower the threshold to around -20? Atleast then I get a good gain reduction.

Reactions: XLR
Back