My Setup. I need a bit of help.

HeAtBbx

Hey everyone, i am a beatboxer and a drummer (i dont use my setup for drums) I have a ART Pro Audio - Pro Channel channel strip to a Tascam US-122L interface. I am having a few problems that i cant fix.

When recording in to Cubass and Audacity (i know audacity sucks), my microphone will lag or
"beep" then it will lag for a second and start recording again from the point it stopped, skipping what i recorded. I am using both the compressor and the equalizer and 2 microphones, a Sennheiser E-840 and a Shure Beta58.

Also, the sound isnt as clean as it is said it could be, it is coming out fine but it doesnt come out as that studio quality that you would look for, even in comparison to the Behringer Xenyx 1202Fx, my old Mic Pre.

My setup right now is my preamp has its gain at 0
> Low cut @ 25 (out of a possible 250 hz.)
> Preamp @ 0 (out of a Possible 10)

Compressor

> Threshold @ -15 (out of a possible +15)
> Ratio @ 3:1 (out of a possible infinite (8:1)
> Compressor @ 0 (out of a possible 8)
Attack: Slow, Release: Slow, Type: Optical

Equalizer:
Low (40 hz) @ +3 (out of a possible 12)
Lo-Mid [i have the option to set this frequency and hi-mid frequency: (200Hz) (-12)
Hi-Mid [600hz] (-12)
High (0)

Master (0)

On my tascam my Phones/line out is all the way up, my input/computer is in the middle, and my left mic input (the one i am using [XLR from Pro channel]) is at the middle. Phantom is off, Mono is on, and the second input is all the way down. Any suggestions?

thanks in advance any help is VERY greatly appreciated

All the information on settings is irrelevant. Probably what's happening is latency going in. What are the specs on your PC?

As for quality, remember that the "studio quality" you're referring to probably came with the "Studio" price tag. It's recording through a $1,000 preamp using a $3,500 mic and $3,000 LA-2A in $250,000 room. Your expectations might be a little high, especially if you're just starting out.

Frank

My Specs:

Well my comp specs are:

Gateway:

AMD Turion Dual Core 1.6 Ghz
2GB of RAM
ATI Radion video card

My internal soundcard is horrible but as i said, i am using an external tascam 122L

For a sound check test on my quality with EQ on this, mainly because i stream more than record, go to:

www.soundclick.com/rhyth3m

the actual clip is My Soundsystem Test. Take a listen and feel free to make suggestions.
Also, i understand that my quality isnt expected to be insane but i have heard better out of a Behringer Eurorack and A tascam-122L. Also, i may get a Presonus Firebox soon, would that help?

I can also adjust the latency on my tascam, it is at Normal Latency recording at (96 Khz) quality. Another thing i am having problems with is the line out on the tascam, i dont know why but the RCA wont work? Any ideas? maybe i am just using it wrong?

Last edited:
Back