my patchbay doesn't have a switch to goto Half normalled..open...

earworm

ok,

so, i've been having issues with my patchbay,

its an AP audio (re van) 1/4" patchbay with 24 slots (48 holes on front and back)

i don't even know that its balanced or Unbalanced (second option i think)
i got the patchbay for free from a friend

i'm using it, but i just don't know what i'm using...
it looks like i'm using HALF OPEN connections...

but its weird, when i first started using the patchbay i just messed with it untill some audio came trough, after a while my friend told me i had to change all the slots,,, turn the "upside down" to make the patchbay normalled....

so i did..... and it did change something about the connections

but its weird, on the top of my patchbay its showed that it can work as normalled, half normalled, denormalled and open
,but there's no Switch button like on those Behringer patchbays

so how do you change this?
by once again turning the slots upside down and stuff???

---------------
from mixer inserts goes to BACK TOP
to mixer inserts comes from BACK BOTTOM

when i plug a patchcable in the FRONT TOP,
then it cuts the connection on the back

when i plug a cable in the FRONT BOTTOM,
the connection in the back stays AND the signal runs trough this Front-bottom wire
-------------------

this sounds like HALF OPEN, but upside down...
if i'm correct a Half Open connection is when ONLY THE BOTTOM FRONT jack interrups the connection on the back

ok, i hope its not too confusing...

maybe i should just get me such a patchbay with switches....

(its hard to find info on this brand, i think its a pretty old unit i'm using....
some info i could find on AP audio:

AP Audio APB-48S Patchbay
The APB-48s Patchbay's modular solution makes it easy and inexpensive to customize it according to your needs. Gives you quick and easy normalling changes - no switches, no solder. Bottom panel for PC cards provides sure strain relief when “Cable Loaded.”
)

cheers,
earworm

earworm said:
....there's no Switch button like on those Behringer patchbays

so how do you change this?
by once again turning the slots upside down and stuff???
Yes... flip the cards over... I don't have the configuration handy, but there's a grey nut on one side of the cards and black on the other -- how you position the cards dictate whether they're normalled, de-normalled or half-normalled.

If you still have the box it came in, the configs are printed on the cardboard....

Back