my new retro-rack

toobalicious

lol, just like the good ol' days.

just picked up an aphex aural exciter "type b", from the 80's AFAIK, for $20.
aphexb.jpg

dig that brushed panel and the big fat knobs, heh. not sure if i will actually use the thing or not, but i remember getting some good bass tracks out of a similar unit back in the day. of course, it is also reputedly part of the "LA sound" from back in the metal daze.
anyone used this unit, or have any insight? going to have to rearrange my rack to put this in a spot that makes sense, so i havent yet heard it. hell, it might not even work; it does light up though. figure $20 isnt much to lose to try it.
a

I have probably the same unit I received for free when I bought a whole rack of PA gear a while back. I plugged it in and it turns on but I haven't even used it yet. I might plug it into my system sometime this weekend and see how it works.

not exactly, but i appreciate your candor. not sure i would put it on a 2 buss, but surely i will use it somewhere. actually, with the "mix" knob sort of down, it has its merits. seems like the "too much" threshold is easily reached though, and even at drier settings, whether the effected sound is "better" or not is subjective. but it can definitely add some color. then again, if my studio is anything, it is budget, and just having the option seems helpful, if only for comparison. the pres on the mackie board are particularly vanilla, IMO, at least with the modest selection of mics available for me to plug in to it. then again, i sure have had my fair share of muddy or flat-sounding tracks over the years, and throughout the evolution of my home studio (and i dont mean eq flat). someone liked them, as the crap is still being made, and by other companies besides aphex, even. i may try it in the pa rack and see how that works out.

a

Back