My Mixer buzzes...HELP!

Greykitkat36

I have a Behringer PMH880S 10-Channel Powered Mixer (800 Watts). It has worked fine for over a year. Recently I plugged it in and attached it to my PA speakers like normal. Now, there is a constant loud buzz coming from it. Even when no mics are plugged in, there is still a buzz. There never used to be. The only way to eliminate it is when I mute all the channels or turn the main master down all the way. Someone help!

Bad cables between board and speakers???? Interference bleeding into cables??? Is it plugged into a different electrical outlet than normal??? If you plug in a guitar amp or something else into the same outlet, is it also noisier than normal? How bad is it? Can you here your music over the buzzing, or does the buzzing completely take over the signal?

. . . and don't forget to check the IEEE power cord. My keyboardist uses a PM2000 as his stage monitor and recently had the power cord go bad. From time to time, he would get grounding buzzes in different rooms (not uncommon for keyboardists with multiple instruments going into a submixer then to a FOH mix, then patching into a house system for reinforcement). Besides enough channels of DI, an EbTech HR2 is a handy thing to have when you need it.

Is anything new plugged into the mixer? The preamp doesn't have to be on for a ground loop to develop and manifest itself. Especially check any 1/4-in, RCA, and speak-on cables for faults (try swapping your SpeakOn power cords into the bridged output, one-at-a-time, to see if one of 'em is causing the buzz).

Oh, yeah---don't forget to check your speaker input jacks.

Good luck,
Paj
8^)

Well, it started this morning when I plugged it into my laptop to lay down some tracks. However, I've done the same thing weeks before and it was fine. I'm wondering if it does have something to do with the power cable...I used two different outlets and the same thing happens.

Back