Multicore Help!

Hi I've extended my recording room into the workshop with an 8 way multicore the intention being to give me a range of options for recording I have set it up as 8 male xlr in my music room to 6 female xlr and 2 combo xlrs in the workshop.
The reason for the combos was that I can either send a headphone mix to the workshop and / or send a guitar signal from the music room to the workshop to amp it and return via a mic to the music room to avoid p*ssing off the Mrs's

The headphone mix works a treat but when I tried a guitar I realised that I've used stereo combo's (NCJ6F1) is there any way I can wire these a mono or can anyone think of a work around? I'm not bothered about a stereo mix for headphones.

Cheers
Bruce

If you have stereo combos, wired to an XLR then that end gets ground pin 1 connected to one of the other conductors at that end by the plug. If at the other end you have an unbalance jack to XLR female connector, with it's pin 1 connection shorted to one of the other connectors, it should work fine - I'm assuming it doesn't, which just means at one end you are shorting say 1 to 2, but at the other 1 to 3. A test meter should sort it out. Or have I misunderstood what the problem is?

The ring will short to the sleeve, which is fine. You will just need to make a female xlr to 1/4 ts adapter for the music room side.

Thanks for the replies guys, I don't think I have any shorts but because it's a stereo combo it doesn't like a guitar cable plugged in Its wired

male xlr - 1 = ground, 2 = +ve, 3 = -ve

combo - 1 = ground, 2 = +ve, 3 = -ve jump s=1, r=2, t=3

As I said a headphone mix works fine but I also want to just plug in my guitar in the house with an amp plugged in the workshop and play should I short 3 and 1?

Sorry if this seems a daft question but making up my own leads is a brand new experience, but now I've started I'm quite enjoying it!

cheers
Bruce

Pin 2 should be connected to the tip and pin 3 should be the ring.

That is why it doesn't work when you plug a guitar cable into it. If you wire it correctly, the ring (pin 3) will be shorted to ground by the guitar plug, which is fine and proper.

Thanks Jay, that makes sense to me now, I'll get the soldering kit out again tomorrow, I need the practice anyway :)
Cheers
Bruce

Back