Multi-channel preamp

AndyK12

Hi,

I've got $5000 CAD and I'm looking at buying some multi-channel preamps. I don't want to spend all of it but I'd ideally like to get at least 16 channels for around this amount. I don't need any eq, compression, a/d, pad, inserts - I'm just using this purely for the front end of my location rig.

I want really quiet preamps, I can't stand hissy gain, it makes me really deppressed having a sheet of noise over good music. Hopefully in 16 channel format, however the TF Pro M16 seems perfect, I just can't find one in canada or used. 2 8 channel units would work fine as well.

Thanks for any ideas.
Andy

Well, assuming you are looking to avoid the M Audio, Mackie and Presonus tier of gear, affordable units would be the True Systems Precision 8 and the Focusrite ISA 828. Each of them has 8 channels for @$2500. Grace, GML and Millennia also make 8 channel pres, but they cost about twice as much as you want to spend. Alternatively, I'd look at a Midas Venice 160 board. Midas uses very good preamps in its boards and would be substantially less than your budget, even if it does have other bells and whistles you may not want. If you are doing location work, the Venice may be a really handy option. I'd at least audition one if you can.

Thanks for the advice. I'm not too current with reinforcement boards. I've used a Ghost 32 LE playing live, and it sounded good. Every room in Toronto had a 32LE it seemed. The True systems was what I was leaning towards to rent/buy, the focusrite 828 seemed pretty cool as well. Then again, it's all marketing that I've been reading. It maybe absolute crap or golden. I don't really care about the name/hype just as long as it's hiss free headroom.

Thanks a lot. I'm trying to stay ahead of the game by buying stuff that isn't going to be rendered in the bargain bin in a couple of years. I'm always kind of mystified with analog board manufacturers, they know that the market is looking for front end DAW systems with short signal chains, why don't they just offer their console pre-amps in a rackmountable form? You'd think they'd be making a killing.

Andy

I'm always kind of mystified with analog board manufacturers, they know that the market is looking for front end DAW systems with short signal chains, why don't they just offer their console pre-amps in a rackmountable form? You'd think they'd be making a killing.

Actually, Neotek does just that.

http://www.sytek-audio-systems.com/products/preamps/mpx4/

You could pick up about four of these things, rack 'em up, and have a total of 16-channels worth of ELAN pres, and it would be right within your budget parameters.

I'd personally mix it up with some of the great suggestions so far. Maybe 2 sytek's , one with burr browns, one withoout. And the 8-channel true systems sounds great too! Give yourself a bit of a variety somehow instead of 16 channels of the same thing. Even eight channels of seventh circle audio would certainly be on my list.

Well, some people like the Burr-Browns in the Sytek and some don't. I'd see if I could listen first before ordering, or get exchange privileges.

And before I forget, there are also these available. I've never used one, although I've read numerous rave reviews.

http://www.jlmaudio.com/TMP8.htm

I believe they are priced at about $2,558 Canadian with the currency conversion from Australian Dollars. Other Australian members of this Board can comment.

And before I forget, there are also these available. I've never used one, although I've read numerous rave reviews.

http://www.jlmaudio.com/TMP8.htm

I believe they are priced at about $2,558 Canadian with the currency conversion from Australian Dollars. Other Australian members of this Board can comment.
+1 on the jlm audio rave reviews. I've been reading about it over on the GS board. Top notch engineers. I also have not heard it.

Very cool stuff. Sometimes when I'm looking at all this stuff it's hard not to get dazzled and think that 'if only I had..."

I've got some pedals built for me from Prophecy Soundsystems from Australia and the shipping to Canada was fast, except customs took it apart and couldn't quite put it back together again. So I'm a little leery.

True Systems P8 and the JLM TMP8. Have used both and they are the real deal. Most everything in this price range will get you where you want to go.

Back