MOTU & Windows XP

steve.h said:
Bought used, no manual. I don't usually assume hardware built to use a standard interface protocol needs a specific fucking chipset to function..

And that is quite possibly where you fucked up.

When I build a PC, I try to research each piece of gear to find out what possible trouble I'm going to have. I still have trouble, but at least I'm generally not clueless about what the problem is.

Point is, you didn't read the manual or do any research at all, so don't get all pissy-assed because you put together a system that doesn't perform how you want it to.

It's just a mobo, if that's the problem. Lessons learned.

The TI/Firewire is a known issue you could have learned about in 5 minutes at unicorn nation.

And yes, I read the manual. Even for a printer.

steve.h said:
I don't usually assume hardware built to use a standard interface protocol needs a specific fucking chipset to function. Would you read the manual on a printer you're about to buy to see if it needs a specific chipset for USB?

No, but then we're not talking about your run-of-the-mill hardware here. Would you install Windows XP and expect it to automatically be optimized for browsing, audio recording, video production, gaming, media presentation and file serving all at the same time? No...you would expect to have to tweak it a bit.

Manufacturers of professional audio hardware expect their users to at least put a LITTLE effort into researching the compatability of the systems they build or use for recording.

jmorris said:
Steve H , is your issue resolved?

Unfortunately, the company sending my firewire card decided to wait until today to send me an email regarding the discrepancy between my shipping & mailing address (live @ an apt.). Then, they apparently require me to fax a photocopy of my card & a signature with it. I checked around the 'net, and some very reputable sites have highly recommended this company so I have no worries. However, it would have been nice to receive notice earlier this week... :(

sile2001 said:
No, but then we're not talking about your run-of-the-mill hardware here. Would you install Windows XP and expect it to automatically be optimized for browsing, audio recording, video production, gaming, media presentation and file serving all at the same time? No...you would expect to have to tweak it a bit.

Manufacturers of professional audio hardware expect their users to at least put a LITTLE effort into researching the compatability of the systems they build or use for recording.

Honestly, it's not worth arguing. I have a known-working firewire port, I purchased a known-working firewire soundcard, and they didn't work with eachother. I could have avoided the situation had I researched for a few days looking for any sort of problems I might encounter, but honestly I've never had to do that with any piece of hardware I've ever plugged into an XP machine, and I've worked on several dozen machines with a whole shitload of peripherals. So excuse me for getting mad when I lay down some cash & the thing doesn't work due to an issue that no other piece of hardware has had...

Supercreep said:
And that is quite possibly where you fucked up.

When I build a PC, I try to research each piece of gear to find out what possible trouble I'm going to have. I still have trouble, but at least I'm generally not clueless about what the problem is.
Same here, which I did, which is why until now I've had exactly zero hardware issues with this computer in the 3+ years I've owned it.

Supercreep said:
Point is, you didn't read the manual or do any research at all, so don't get all pissy-assed because you put together a system that doesn't perform how you want it to.
Not true. I researched for a good 1/2 hour, looking through both professional reviews and user reviews. Nothing mentioned anything about a firewire problem, as I was unaware I should have searched for "firewire motu 896 xp sp2 problem"...

Supercreep said:
It's just a mobo, if that's the problem. Lessons learned.
Mobo's fine, pci firewire card isn't.

Supercreep said:
The TI/Firewire is a known issue you could have learned about in 5 minutes at unicorn nation.
And why would I have assumed there was a website called Unicorn Nation with posts related to a problem I hadn't yet encountered?

Supercreep said:
And yes, I read the manual. Even for a printer.
That's just odd.

/shrugs/

I guess this problem was the unavoidable result of someone else's action/inaction and that you are plainly not responsible for purchasing the wrong bit of kit.

I would like to chime in again. I have received more MOTU experiences over the past few days than I have wanted haha.

Three days ago I took out my motu8pre because I was moving around my computer in my studio. I plugged it back in and my motu wasn't responding. Didn't detect a device or anything. I would like to note that I have had the motu8pre run fine on this computer. I assumed it was a firewire port problem on the motu because it was powering up successfully and I had checked my computers firewire ports for connectivity and recognition.

Heres a bit of a good part. Motu tech support ... was very good. If you have to contact tech support, just call them over the phone, dont email them. I received much more help over the phone than I did over emails. Emails I got a sluggish response and lackluster help. The customer support on the phone was friendly, knowledgeable, and helpful. Although I didn't solve my problem with the help of tech support, I was able to send in my motu8pre for repair yesterday. They were able to extend my 90 day warranty ( which is a month and a half overdue) so that I received the repairs for free. I am happy with the tech support I have received from Motu for my 8pre.

Now that I have digressed from my Motu and my windows I will get back on track. I'm going to have to agree with Steve H. I believe that although there are certain specifications you have to abide by for some motu products , that they should also be more universal. I think there should be a focus on their product working on any system with little problems but not just one specified system with zero problems and others are a wreck.

To further vent, I'm running my laptop on AMD Turion 1.6x2,1gb memory,120gb hard drive , AND a Texas Instruments PCMIA firewire card(not the best system...). I have unsuccessfully ran my motu8pre on this system. It did not work in both service pack one xp pro or service pack two xp pro. They both were on a clean slate with just my laptops drivers installed so there was nothing else to conflict with it. I have concluded that my pcmia card, although a texas instrument chipset, didn't work well with the motu. When my 8pre comes back from repair, I'm going to try it on my friends pcmia card which he bought for 3 dollars on ebay and works for his 896 opposed to my 50 dollar ADS tech dual link card bus that doesnt work on my 8pre. :confused:

On a final note ... I might be trying to sell my 8pre when I get it back from repair and vouch for a new interface ... something with more outputs. Oh well. Good luck with your MOTU's boys. :rolleyes:

Supercreep said:
/shrugs/

I guess this problem was the unavoidable result of someone else's action/inaction and that you are plainly not responsible for purchasing the wrong bit of kit.

Although I'm aware copious amounts of sarcasm were intended, I believe you are correct: MOTU should never have claimed "Windows XP" support: rather, it should have claimed "Windows XP SP1 with a Texas Instruments or Lucent chipset firewirecard and a bit of luck" support...

steve.h said:
Although I'm aware copious amounts of sarcasm were intended, I believe you are correct: MOTU should never have claimed "Windows XP" support: rather, it should have claimed "Windows XP SP1 with a Texas Instruments or Lucent chipset firewirecard and a bit of luck" support...

I'm sure MOTU will be most accomodating and will reprint their literature and support documents to reflect that.

Supercreep said:
I'm sure MOTU will be most accomodating and will reprint their literature and support documents to reflect that.

*sigh* I'm just saying that I don't feel I made a mistake in assuming a piece of hardware utilizing firewire would work with my computer's firewire port. It's ridiculous.

Steve h, I feel your pain. Like when you buy a new video card and ( in my kids case) a new game that "should" work does not because you have to update driver...and its fucking new! That crap always gets me!

Stevh ,maybe the reason myself and some others have had very good luck with Motu and XP is I for example have the Motu2408mk3 which comes with a pci card, a firewire card...just thought of that. So the Motu you have doesnt?

Back