MOTU plus ADA8000

pdlstl

Since I track acoustic music mainly, the 8 inputs on my 896HD have been sufficient up till now. But I'm starting to get jobs from bands with drummers and need additional inputs.

Well, I picked up an Behringer ADA8000 off Ebay last night.

My question is, how will I connect this? Would I run the ADAT out of the ADA8000 into the ADAT input of the MOTU?

And then, will the ADA8000 inputs show up in SONAR Producer 6?

Thanks!

I'm not exactly sure how MOTU has set things up in the control panel app, but you might need to enable the ADAT channels. You can also probably name them whatever you want. They then should show up under those names in your DAW. At least, that's how it works in Digital Performer.

You would also wanna run adat out of your motu to the input of the ada8000 and switch the 8000 to external clock. That way your motu would be master clock.

Wow cool my fist post lol.

welkom.

and good luck with the only good berry product :)

ive had mine for over a year know, it didnt die yet!

TragikRemix said:
welkom.

and good luck with the only good berry product :)

ive had mine for over a year know, it didnt die yet!
Well, I do own one other piece of Behringer, the 8 channel headphone amp.

And I suspect the ADA8000 will go as soon as this project with drums is finished. Then I can use the session money to upgrade. :D

I'm going to ask a dumb question...

If the internal clock only goes up 48khz, would I be able to push the conversion up to 96khz, presupposing I sent 96khz from a different source (big ben-like device) to the bnc connector and switched to "external"?

:rolleyes: I'm dumb.. I know.. :p

Not the ADA, but similar product

The A08 allows for internal (44.1/48kHz sample rates) or external sync via the word clock BNC I/O connectors on
the rear of the unit.

http://www.smproaudio.com/A08.htm

Last edited:
peritus said:
If the internal clock only goes up 48khz, would I be able to push the conversion up to 96khz, presupposing I sent 96khz from a different source (big ben-like device) to the bnc connector and switched to "external"?
Nope

Good timing on this thread. I'll ask my question here rather than start another thread. I have a MOTU828mkii, and I am starting to find its 8 analog outs limiting. I also have a 24 channel board, and I want to mix 16 tracks straight on the board. If I get the ada8000, could I send 8 of the outputs out analog 1-8 to the board and another 8 to the ada8000->XLR out to the board? Currently, I don't really need the extra pre-amps for tracking, but they might also come in handy down the road.

pdadda said:
Good timing on this thread. I'll ask my question here rather than start another thread. I have a MOTU828mkii, and I am starting to find its 8 analog outs limiting. I also have a 24 channel board, and I want to mix 16 tracks straight on the board. If I get the ada8000, could I send 8 of the outputs out analog 1-8 to the board and another 8 to the ada8000->XLR out to the board? Currently, I don't really need the extra pre-amps for tracking, but they might also come in handy down the road.

I'm pretty sure as long as you plug the adat in to adat out you can do this.

pdadda said:

Yes, you can. But you're going to be limited to 44.1/48khz any time you put the ada8k in the system. I believe you're also going to hear a slightly different tone come out from the ada8k because it will be using different hardware, and will have different characteristics than the motu.

If I don't need the pre-amps, would an ADAT LX-20 do the trick as well? I would really only need the ADAT for its D/A converters and individual outs.

pdadda said:
If I don't need the pre-amps, would an ADAT LX-20 do the trick as well? I would really only need the ADAT for its D/A converters and individual outs.
It would... but there are those who would poo-poo the converters in the old ADATS... you get what you pay for

Stefan Elmblad said:
Except the LX-20 isn't one of the old ADAT's.
Well I don't think I'd go as far as calling it new... not a black face... but go ahead and try to buy one new today ;)

stagefright13 said:
You would also wanna run adat out of your motu to the input of the ada8000 and switch the 8000 to external clock. That way your motu would be master clock.

Wow cool my fist post lol.

Is this how it would work?

I'd have thought the ada8000 would out to the motu, so the firewire interface would pick up all 16 channels

Bulls Hit said:
Is this how it would work?

I'd have thought the ada8000 would out to the motu, so the firewire interface would pick up all 16 channels

If you are using somehting like two ada8000s with the MOTU 2408, you would connect the ADAT out of each ada8000 to the ADAT in on the MOTU to send signals to the MOTU. You would then connect the respective MOTU ADAT outs to each ada8000 so that you can send the signal back for mixing.

If you do not the mic pres on your converters, I would suggest using a pair of ADAT XTs and a set of ELCO connectors to connect them to your mixer.

I would make the MOTU 2408 as your word clock and sync everything else up to it.

The MOTU software will allow you to route its software. There are so many otpions that you will need to play around with it fo find which settings meets your needs.

Back