Motu 8 pre with other outboard gear

chestwick91

So, this is a stupid question, but i have not really used much adat so i have a few questions. On the 8 pre the only real expandable output options are the adat outs...So say i wanted to use an external effects or a compressor...and none of the outboard gear has adat out...how would i hook these to the 8 pre? for like say a send and return effect...
thanks

You'd get converters for the ADAT I/O and hook up your outboard analog. That's how I do it anyway!

Adding the 8Pre to another box that has more line-outs and ins is the answer.

For example, a Motu828mkII with an 8Pre added to it.
Then you get 10 channels of preamps, plus 8 line-ins and line-outs to hook up outboard gear.....

lame...so all in all lots more gear....that sucks and ideas on what i could use. Something rather cheap that is easy. ( all i need really is comp/effects)
thanks

that sucks..i didn't really want that kinda of a hassle even though i would think the motu is much better interface the the firepod...this will be my first venture into adat...would send and return effects/ compression be a a pain this way?...also what about the audio quality of the Behringer ADA8000
or the sm pro for that matter?
thanks

The ADA8000 is not high end, but there's a lot of people using it. You could also look for a used Alesis AI-3 or Frontier Designs Tango 24.

Once you've hooked up the ADAT cables and patched the thing into your patchbay, it should be no trouble at all to use it. It's just an extension of your 8pre at that point, basically.

see, thats part of the problem...i dont have a patchbay...and i like a lot of analog inputs, and don't have the money to buy a bunch more gear

The MOTU`s 8PRE mic pre`s are good enough to handle a pair of neumanns or it would be too much for them?!

when using a channel strip, that dont have adat, it`ll go to the interface`s pre, right? so, does the 8PRE have a REAL bypass? And it have the same 828MKII pre`s?!

Ty

Gui

chestwick91 said:
see, thats part of the problem...i dont have a patchbay...and i like a lot of analog inputs, and don't have the money to buy a bunch more gear

The ADA8000 or that SM unit and a patchbay would cost you under $300. That seems a pretty affordable way to add eight more channels.

The patchbay will make your life a lot easier too, something you should have anyway.

Albert you mentioned the B word, shame on you. You may have to make a public apology

Since moving on to Vista, I have added an 828MKII and plan to add a 8PRE to mine. I looked at the B word converter but couldn't persuade myself to settle for anything less than an 8PRE.

From what I've read you only use one interface the other is just hooked up ADAT cable. So you shouldn't suffer from 2 firewire port glitches.

I don't see any reason why you couldn't just buy another 8 PRE and hook it up the same way. It would be a couple hundred cheaper and have 16pres.

Last edited:
Yeah i guess thats true...i should get a patch bay...and i agree that 300 dollars is a cheap way to add 8 inputs, but i guess i have just never used any hardwear without aux sends and a bunch of trs outs...i am just confused because the ad800 still doesn't have any place for aux sends or anythng
guess i am confused on how the adat to analog works

i just want trs outs and aux outs....and enough to expand...(which i do know the motu can do but don't know how to use it....Would i go from the 8 pre to the adat converter to a patch bay...then all my other outboard gear to the patchbay as well
....or i could get a firepod....but i don't really want to

thanks

The outputs of the chained ADAT to analog converter *are* the aux sends.

This is how I use my Digi 002R. I have a Frontier Tango 24 connected via ADAT to the 002R and use those as the aux sends. The ADAT outputs appear in ProTools as ADAT 1, ADAT 2, etc. I just assign signal to them as I normally would to an aux send, knowing that the audio will be routed to the Tango 24 and from there analog to my patchbay. Works great!

well the ad800 is all xlr...so i just run the 8 pre into the ad800 (which is also hooked to the patchbay?...and then run the outboard gear into the patchbay right? wont that kill my signal chain a lot?

Also i do have a m-audio 2496..how can i use that as my main monitor mixer and the master clock

ADAT out of the 8pre into the ADAT input of the ADA8000, and from there the analog outs of the ADA8000 into the patchbay. I believe the outputs of the ADA8000 are 1/4".

If your computer OS allows multiple audio interfaces, then you might be able to use both the 8pre and the 2496 at the same time. As far as master clock, I'd try both the 2496 and 8pre as master clock, and then choose which one sounds the best to you.

Back