Motherboard soundcard through 400f possible?

ThaArtist

My speaker monitors are hooked up through my mackie onyx 400f (Click to view.) My question is... Is there anyway to channel my motherboards onboard sound card through the onyx so if I needed or wanted to use the onboard sound I could hear it through my monitors?

Just wondering.

are you saying you want to use your computers soundcard and run it thru your interface?

unless your computers sound card has a digital out you will be converting more times than needed, and for no audio benefiting purpose.

unless im not understanding your question right!

we spend lots of money on converters and interfaces so we can get away from our factory soundcard.

If your motherboard soundcard has a line out you hook it to the line ins on the 400f. You will probably need some type of adapter (depending on the configuration of the ouput, if any, on your sound card). The only thing I can think of that may be an issue is you may have to disconnect the 400f from the computer while using it for monitoring you onboard sound if the computer cannot deal with two active sound devices.

Couldnt you just use the 400f as your sound device and leave the onboard sound out of the equation all together. I use an RME fireface 400 and that is what I do.

Couldnt you just use the 400f as your sound device and leave the onboard sound out of the equation all together. I use an RME fireface 400 and that is what I do.

Yeah, and thats what I do too. I was just curious because I ran into an instance where my onyx wouldnt record through a specific program. The program is Replay Music and it has the option to record whatevers playing through your soundcard. Oddly enough it wouldnt pickup what was playing through the onyx. I switched to the onboard sound and it recorded but I had no sound through my speakers and kept having to switch back and forth in the sounds and audio devices control in windows to hear stuff and possibly resetting my onyx sometimes. Although I didnt try it since I updated my onyx drivers just recently. Now I just switch to Replay Music and record through replays audio drivers which gets no sound out through the onyx but it records whatevers being played.

Odd scenerio but i just wanted to know. Im gonna try it anyway to see if I can use my onboard soundcard and play through my speaker monitors maybe to check audio quality differences. Does that even make sense? The audio might be effected by the onyxs a/d converters?

Thanks!

Back