Votes: 13 11.2%
  • Furman LC-6 compressor

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Joe Meek SC2.2 compressor

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Avalon VT-747SP comp

Votes: 13 11.2%

• Total voters
if you set the meek compression up right, yeah. you really should get one of the VC1Q's though. the preamp is fantastic, and so's the comrpession. together, they work so well! the preamp has loads of headroom aswell, so if you're working with a vocalist, you haven't got to worry about overloads.

The Millenia Media TCL2 TwinCom gets a constant workout in my room. I use it on vocals, horns, and percussion usually.

Am I goofy? I mean isnt the RNC compressor a 200.00 compressor?comparing that to the Avalon at a lot bigger buck? Is the RNC winning the poll because most people that visit this site dont have the $$$ for the more expensive compressor? I mean how many people here have tried the Avalon compaired to the RNC?? Just a thought,Jim

Yeah,I not trying to be a jerk but its really based on who has what. I think a lot of people at this site have very modest setups.But some have GREAT setups I seen/read about. I just thought it was very hard to assess the compressors. hEY, WHILE WE ARE TALKING COMPRESSORS..damn caps key!! Is the 1176 AS GOOD PEOPLE SAY??I have never heard one but am thinking of getting either a vintage or reissue. All the big boys have 'em!~

(Sorry if you've read this already, i accidentaly posted this in the multiband compressor's thread)...
This is kind of off the subject but not realy... but how do ya'll compare these compressors with alot of the board compresson on the digital boards (ex. d8b, o2r, ect...) now a days?
just currious.. i havent had alot of experience with outboard compresson.
thanks... paul

jmorris said:
Yeah,I not trying to be a jerk but its really based on who has what. I think a lot of people at this site have very modest setups.But some have GREAT setups I seen/read about. I just thought it was very hard to assess the compressors. hEY, WHILE WE ARE TALKING COMPRESSORS..damn caps key!! Is the 1176 AS GOOD PEOPLE SAY??I have never heard one but am thinking of getting either a vintage or reissue. All the big boys have 'em!~

You bet! It`s a sound you`ll get addicted to, a rock vocal with the "four button trick", is truly amazing gives it a instant "pro"
sound.

The UAD-1 and BF isn`t even close to to this, but still very useable.

Amund

I like to digress a little bit here. I have heard that Joemeek are great comressors. But on the polls they show poor ratings. Whats up with that?

Will the RNC fatten up bass parts? I have heard the Joemeek does.

thanks.

amt7565 said:
I like to digress a little bit here. I have heard that Joemeek are great comressors. But on the polls they show poor ratings. Whats up with that?

Will the RNC fatten up bass parts? I have heard the Joemeek does.

thanks.

Well, a Joemeek compressor just isn't transparent, it definately adds coloring. Therefore it should get a low rating in this particular poll.
That does not make it bad though. I like my VC6Q. I've used it on bass (my main instrument). I don't have experience with other comps that is worth mentioning but I think a Joemeek does the trick for bass.

"I like to digress a little bit here. I have heard that Joemeek are great comressors. But on the polls they show poor ratings. Whats up with that?"

the joe meek would get good ratings on a "which compresser gives you the coolest coloration"

the reason it gets low ratings in compresser polls is because the polls are comparing compressers for the best transparent gain reduction ....gain reduction with no coloration. Thats why alan was saying that he didn't understand why the meek was incuded in this poll. I LOVE my joe meek optical compresser...but...im ordering a RNC this week cause i need transparent gain reduction. (my studio is almost ready to move the equipment back in)
when i tame the signal with the RNC if i want to fatten up the sound I might STILL go thru the meek.

2 different types of compressers that do 2 completely different things

i can't decide whether to get a rnc on ebay or from mercenary.

OK I did it!
I purchased a RNC from 'Mercenary audio' for $175.00 + $18.00 for shipping and insurance. I hope to have it in 3 days.
So totally it cost $193.00

I bought a TC ELECTRONIC TRIPLE C STEREO MULTIBAND COMPRESSOR which has excellent presets, display, controls etc., bass and treble, input and output level, mastering and finalizing settings (with software upgrade).

I found this really helped compress my vocals when recording and I use it all the time for mastering - if you want to call my technique "mastering" (heh heh). It retailed at $999.99 but sells on ebay now (NOS) for about $299. It is discontinued (but then again everything eventually gets discontinued).

I agree wholeheartedly with the Aphex Expressor recommendation. I have several and it's really a super compressor, and going very cheap on eBay these days. A truly under-rated piece.

The Meek 2.2 is a compressor with a lot of color, not really in the running at all for consideration as a "clean, transparent" unit.

Back