Mogami .. mogami .. mogami.. ?

promesis

Black Knights of the 4H.
doing a little research on resources for updating my cables.
upon my approach to redco.com i discovered several "flavours" ..
http://www.redco.com/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=74&cat=Mogami+Standard+Mic+Cable

i really don't know diddly about any of this .. but my general impression would be to use the W2549 Standard on all mic cables (right so far?), Should I use this for connections from mic pres into HD2400 as well - or could i use the W2552 or ... actually there is too many variations of these balanced mic / line cables ..

what the heck?

What cable should be used throughout this basic project studio set up that i have:
14 channels of mics into mic pres -
then out from the mic pres into the back of a patchbay which routes the signal right back out into the 24 channels of the HD2400 .. this way i can use
patch cables in front of the patchbay to route the mic pres to any channel available.

So .. basically, i guess i am drawing distinctions between the usage for the different sizes and designs of the cables - for mic'ing and patching purposes.

Assuming there are uses for differing types / cable diameter ["flavour"] - what differences in the connectors [TRS/TS/XLR] would i need to consider? That is to say, do i need to use different connectors for the thinner cable?

My pres are RNPs, Syteks and a couple ART ProChannels.. mics are sm57, ATM25, AT4033, OktavaMK012, .. so kind of semi pro type mic / pre amp environment..

thanks for your time and attention to this.

Redco is a great company. You could call them and I'm sure they would be happy to make sure you get the cable that's going to be best for your situation.

That being said, I would just go with the mogami 2549. In fact that is what I went with.

Last edited:
Honestly, I am really pleased with my Mogami's. It breaks down to this. I do not have the time and effort to fuck around with soldering and making connectors and such. I WILL NOT buy Monster cables just because of all the bullshit they do. I'm not going to go further into that. And, I like having cables that I can go buy at guitar center any day of the week. That leaves me with only 1 choice for cables... Mogami.

Now, would I willingly pay full price for the Mogami's??? Not likely, but I don't ever do that so I'm fine with buying them. Cables have a very high retail
markup. When you work with the same sales people at these stores, they will hook you up. you go in there and spend a few hundred bucks on whatever else you need, and throw a mic stand or a few Mogami's on the counter also. I usually pay exactly half price for Mogami's. So that $50 cable only cost me $25, and for that price I can't really buy any decent cables at guitar center.

Oh yeah, did I mention that I then can take back the cable to guitar center years later, and get a new one new questions asked if mine stops working for any reason? I'll never have to repurchase these cables as long as I keep receipts.

Oh yeah, did I mention that I then can take back the cable to guitar center years later, and get a new one new questions asked if mine stops working for any reason? I'll never have to repurchase these cables as long as I keep receipts.

Do you trade in your car if the tire goes flat, too?

Back