Modulator for voice

yoyo

At your service
yo all

I'm really digging the sounds from some new albums i'm listening to. the vocal signal is running through some type of processor giving it that spacey radio kinda sound. hard to describe. it's also being done in real time. what are some cheap examples of these things? i'm really interested in them.

thanks

peace

could you post a link to some of the music (the albums you were mentioning)? It would probbaly be easier to understand what you are talking about.

He could be talking about a vocoder, in which case look for 'Orange Vocoder' which is brilliant in realtime.

If you looking for mono-vocal lines its best to go with a talkbox, which is a piece of hardware that is easy to build yourself. You can buy them premade but they are cheaper and better hand-made.

Give us some examples!

Frampton used a Heil Talk Box for the vocal FX on his albums.
Jeff Lynne of ELO used Flanging on vocals a lot.

Frampton used a Heil Talk Box for the vocal FX on his albums.
Jeff Lynne of ELO used Flanging on vocals a lot.

Hmmm... I thought it was a Golden Throat, or one made especially for him. Heils are seriously weak. Much better off buying your own compressed driver and attatching a tube.

If your interested in that stuff, have a look at Zapp... incredible use of the talkbox!

Hmmm... I thought it was a Golden Throat, or one made especially for him. Heils are seriously weak. Much better off buying your own compressed driver and attatching a tube.

If your interested in that stuff, have a look at Zapp... incredible use of the talkbox!

Heil invented the Talk Box. The Golden Throat was a cheap copy Electro-Harmonix marketed after Frampton became famous for using the Heil on "Frampton Comes Alive." Since Frampton had a reputation for hot-rodding his equipment, his Talk Box unit was probably not a stock unit.

talk boxes are easy to make, why would anyone buy one? A friend of mine made one for almost no money at all, with very little effort, and it sounded just as good as retail ones.

talk boxes are easy to make, why would anyone buy one? A friend of mine made one for almost no money at all, with very little effort, and it sounded just as good as retail ones.
I made one in high-school... with a speaker driver, clear plastic tubing, and duct tape... that's it.

Easy to make--true. But someone had to be the first with the idea and the know-how to pull it off. Someone else had to think the idea had merit.

And for Vocoder FX at their best--check out the first LP by the Allan Parson's Project--released in 1976, titled Tales of Mystery and Imagination. Every song is based on something written by Edgar Allan Poe. "Nevermore" has some really haunting :-)D) vocal FX from vocoding.

Haha, sorry guys. I completely forgot about htis thread *embarrased* lol.

Yeah, it's probably a vocoder or a talkbox. But he was using a mic in the concert, so it's probably a vocoder. Can't find examples tho online... sucks.

But, while we're at it. How do I make a talkbox, what sounds will it give me? Sounds like a good cheap project for me!

Back