Mixer w/ Pre or Standalone Preamp

Danny Love

What's is the difference in getting a standalone preamp versus getting a mixer with built in preamps? I have been looking at mixers as they have a lot more versatility for more than just mic'ing, so what's the verdict?

What's is the difference in getting a standalone preamp versus getting a mixer with built in preamps? I have been looking at mixers as they have a lot more versatility for more than just mic'ing, so what's the verdict?

There's no one size fits all answer to this, it depends on your circumstances, what you will record, how you will record, how many tracks a ta time, what your budget is, what gear you have now, etc. Give more details for a more considered answer.

Some general truths are that a low cost mixer will have very little money allocated into each preamp, vs a standalone preamp having it's entire build cost into it's one or two preamps (more in some cases, but you get the point). So, standalone preamps tend to be better than the preamps in a low cost mixer. But if you need the extra functionality of a mixer, and I think pretty much everyone should have one, then a mixer is a good place to start, and the standalone preamps can come later.

There's no one size fits all answer to this, it depends on your circumstances, what you will record, how you will record, how many tracks a ta time, what your budget is, what gear you have now, etc. Give more details for a more considered answer.

Some general truths are that a low cost mixer will have very little money allocated into each preamp, vs a standalone preamp having it's entire build cost into it's one or two preamps (more in some cases, but you get the point). So, standalone preamps tend to be better than the preamps in a low cost mixer. But if you need the extra functionality of a mixer, and I think pretty much everyone should have one, then a mixer is a good place to start, and the standalone preamps can come later.

Okay, this is what I pretty much figured but I just wanted to see if there was anything else I might be missing. I'm planning on getting a Fostex MR8HD, but I'm not sure how good the preamps are on it and the mic sound would probably be pretty empty without a mixer.

Okay, this is what I pretty much figured but I just wanted to see if there was anything else I might be missing. I'm planning on getting a Fostex MR8HD, but I'm not sure how good the preamps are on it and the mic sound would probably be pretty empty without a mixer.

Looks like the Fostex already has a mixer. Why spend money on yet another cheap mixer with cheap preamps?

Having owned a Fostex for the past five years, an external pre-amp is necessary. The on-board pre-amps Fostex makes are not their best feature.
Just make sure the patch cables between the pre-amp or mixer (whichever you go with) are kept short to diminish the likelihood of noise (like line hum) being introduced into the signal--1 foot is optimal and instrument cables have better shielding than the kind used for patching home entertainment components together.

And some mixers have better preamps than others. For example, I like the A&H preamps quite a bit and think they sound a lot better than the Mackie VLZ series. Next step up would be Midas, but a Midas mixer is a lot more $$$.

I had a Fostex MR8 for a sort period of time and the preamps were pretty poor. I never actually used it on a project, it just didn't end up working for me but i obviously tried it out.

Anyway, if you only need a preamp, it makes it so much simpler. Just hook it up and you are good. If i only needed a preamp, i'd go for it.

I use a mixer because i need a mixer. I have 4 devices that need a stereo channel, and i need to be able to mic, and my setup is the smallest it's ever been right now. A preamp obvioulsy would be too little.

I always tell people, unless they only have the intention of recording vocals, find out how many channels you need, then figure out how many you might need in the future. Then add 2 to 4. It's alot cheaper to buy something with too much then to get buy with too little and make it work, only to rebuy.

I had a Fostex MR8 for a sort period of time and the preamps were pretty poor. I never actually used it on a project, it just didn't end up working for me but i obviously tried it out.

Anyway, if you only need a preamp, it makes it so much simpler. Just hook it up and you are good. If i only needed a preamp, i'd go for it.

I use a mixer because i need a mixer. I have 4 devices that need a stereo channel, and i need to be able to mic, and my setup is the smallest it's ever been right now. A preamp obvioulsy would be too little.

I always tell people, unless they only have the intention of recording vocals, find out how many channels you need, then figure out how many you might need in the future. Then add 2 to 4. It's alot cheaper to buy something with too much then to get buy with too little and make it work, only to rebuy.

Nicely put.

I have found a mixer to be an indispensable tool in the studio. I used to run just my Delta 1010lt because I didn't need anymore than 10 inputs. It worked OK but now I use a 4 bus mixer with direct outs. To me the biggest advantage of using a mixer is I don't have to mess with input monitoring. I can just turn on the mixer and my amp I don't need the PC on to just practice. I still have 4 inputs on the 1010 that aren't hooked up to the mixer so I can record directly in to the sound card without going through my mixer if I want. The pre's aren't great but they work. It's a good way to get started because you will find so many other uses for a mixer besides the preamps.

Back